Microsoft activation key not recognised

grandmat 13:53 PM 25 Oct 13

I purchased this laptop with genuine Microsoft Office 2010 startup. I have had no problems until this week. I was sent a office document which I could not open and had to enter the product key - which was then not recognised by microsoft. I have been round and round the microsoft "help" pages to no avail - I am now nearly bald!

Any ideas how to resolve this please?

mole1944 14:29 PM 25 Oct 13

0800 018 8354 Microsoft activation

lotvic 17:33 PM 25 Oct 13

Just in case there is confusion over the product key: The product activation key for microsoft office 2010 program is NOT the product key on the COA sticker on the bottom of laptop - that product key is for the reinstall of Operating System (Windows 7, or XP or Vista - whichever you have)

grandmat 22:08 PM 25 Oct 13

Lotvic Thanks so much, this really has cleared up some of the confusion.

Could I ask 1 more question please.
Could I download and use Open Office instead of word and would that resolve any attachments in word that I receive and cannot open?

alanrwood 11:48 AM 26 Oct 13

It should work fine. Nowadays Libre Office has replaced Open Office and is more developed than OpenOffice so I would suggest that

lotvic 18:13 PM 26 Oct 13

Yep, I agree with alanrwood - Libre Office freebie click here

grandmat 13:15 PM 29 Oct 13

Many thanks to all of you really knowledgeable people for your help and will do this - do I have to uninstal Microsoft Starter?

Also to-day I right clicked a word document and could only open it in Protected View - I have never come across this before. Is Microsoft "encouraging me" to purchase full Microsoft office???

woodchip 14:13 PM 29 Oct 13

You may be able to get the Key from Regedit using the correct Software

this may find the key Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder

click here

lotvic 14:42 PM 29 Oct 13

woodchip made me think again... perhaps you have the pre-installed Office 2010 Starter Edition and it was the Sept2013 update that broke it ClickHere

grandmat 15:09 PM 29 Oct 13

YES this is it exactly!

So do I still download Libre and deleted microsoft stater??

woodchip 15:25 PM 31 Oct 13

You could try doing a Restore to before the Problem, restore Dates are in Bold letters

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016