Microsoft activation key not recognised

grandmat 25 Oct 13
Answered

I purchased this laptop with genuine Microsoft Office 2010 startup. I have had no problems until this week. I was sent a office document which I could not open and had to enter the product key - which was then not recognised by microsoft. I have been round and round the microsoft "help" pages to no avail - I am now nearly bald!

Any ideas how to resolve this please?

mole1944 25 Oct 13

0800 018 8354 Microsoft activation

lotvic 25 Oct 13

Just in case there is confusion over the product key: The product activation key for microsoft office 2010 program is NOT the product key on the COA sticker on the bottom of laptop - that product key is for the reinstall of Operating System (Windows 7, or XP or Vista - whichever you have)

grandmat 25 Oct 13

Lotvic Thanks so much, this really has cleared up some of the confusion.

Could I ask 1 more question please.
Could I download and use Open Office instead of word and would that resolve any attachments in word that I receive and cannot open?

alanrwood 26 Oct 13

It should work fine. Nowadays Libre Office has replaced Open Office and is more developed than OpenOffice so I would suggest that

lotvic 26 Oct 13

Yep, I agree with alanrwood - Libre Office freebie click here

grandmat 29 Oct 13

Many thanks to all of you really knowledgeable people for your help and will do this - do I have to uninstal Microsoft Starter?

Also to-day I right clicked a word document and could only open it in Protected View - I have never come across this before. Is Microsoft "encouraging me" to purchase full Microsoft office???

woodchip 29 Oct 13

You may be able to get the Key from Regedit using the correct Software

this may find the key Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder

click here

lotvic 29 Oct 13

woodchip made me think again... perhaps you have the pre-installed Office 2010 Starter Edition and it was the Sept2013 update that broke it ClickHere

grandmat 29 Oct 13

YES this is it exactly!

So do I still download Libre and deleted microsoft stater??

woodchip 31 Oct 13

You could try doing a Restore to before the Problem, restore Dates are in Bold letters

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message