Memory upgrade. Win 7

bigfooted 08 Nov 12
Answered

Hi, I am planning to increase the RAM in my computer from 3G to 8G. My present OS is Windows 7 home premium 32 bit. In order to get my computer to recognise the increased memory I need to switch to Win 7 64 bit version. What I need to know is do I need to dump all existing programs on the system then re-enter them after the O/S upgrade, or is it like changing from FATS to NTFS, where you can leave everything in place ? Also are there any hidden problems I need to watch out for when performing the O/S upgrade? All and any advice gratefully accepted. Wotan.

Nontek 08 Nov 12

Win7 32bit-63bit

and-reinstalling-Windows-7

In the List shown, scroll down to 3rd item from bottom.

Nontek 08 Nov 12

trying again

Same comments apply....

Nontek 08 Nov 12

Ignore first link, second link is OK.

bigfooted 08 Nov 12
Answer

Hi Nontek, tells me all I needed to know including the fact that my system will run 64 bit, something I had assumed did not need to be checked. Many thanks, I can now start getting my programs sorted out ready to reload when I have updated the O/S

Nontek 08 Nov 12

Fine - thanks for your feedback.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message