Memory errors

Gav5 20:41 10 Jun 08

I've just had the Blue Screen and the message 'pfn_list_corrupt' and i believe this is a memory related problem. I'm using Vista 64bit with 4Gb Ram, 4 identical PC6400 sticks.
I've set the voltage to 2.1v as suggested by the manufacturer but still get the occasional Blue Screen.
I was going to run a memory test but don't know where to start. I've downloaded Memtest86 but the install file won't run. Any suggestions gratefully received.

mrwoowoo 20:45 10 Jun 08

In control panel>administrative tools there is a memory diagnostics tool.

Gav5 21:09 10 Jun 08

Ran the diagnostics tool and it came back clean - no errors detected. Back to square one ! I read somewhere that there's a program which can test individual sticks, or is this the same thing as the diagnostics i've just ran ?

mrwoowoo 23:01 10 Jun 08

Although a pain,i can only suggest removing a pair of sticks and seeing if it's ok.If it is replace with the other two and work on a trial and error basis until you find the dud stick.
If all combinations work then your memory should be ok.

brundle 23:13 10 Jun 08

Driver error is a possibility too according to some; click here

click here
The second is not exactly `light reading` but is about memory problems in the context of corruption by faulty drivers...

jarvis10@btinternet.com 23:34 10 Jun 08

i had a problem last year, vista mem test passed with all 4 ram sticks in, but when i tried it 1 by 1 the last (sods law) stick would lock up memory test halfway though the first run.
as mrwoowoo has said it's a pain but should identify a faulty module.

Gav5 12:50 11 Jun 08

Thanks guys,

I'll try the individual sticks on the diagnosis tool at the weekend and let you all know.

Thanks for the responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced