Massive download on every computer computer start-up

IreneW 07:05 23 Nov 13

Every time I connect my computer via ADSL router/modem to the web it downloads about 300Mb. If I turn off the router/modem while it is downloading and restart it, this stops the download. How can I find out what is being downloaded, why it is being downloaded and how to stop it?

Jollyjohn 10:50 23 Nov 13

Is Automatic updates switched on?

What version of windows are you using?

You will need to let this download complete at some point.

Be aware that switching off your router will slow your connection speed. The exchange will see this a fault and reduce speed to the line. This will continue until a stable speed is reached.

Secret-Squirrel 13:16 23 Nov 13

If you're a moderately experienced user then the Windows 7 "Resource Monitor" should be able to tell you what's going on. Restart your PC (but don't open any programs) then try the following

To get to Resource Monitor quickly, click the Start button, type, resmon and it'll appear at the top of the list.

Click the "Network" tab then expand the "Network Activity" section. The information in the "Receive" column should help you identify the mysterious download and you can then identify the name of the program (or process) and where it's connecting to.

Let us know what you discover.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5