Marvell RAID0 is too big!

NeilHodgkinson 13:18 04 Apr 14

I have just finished, after many trials and difficulty's, building my first PC. The last two HDD's i attached were 3TB. I put them both onto 2 x 6Gb/s Marvell controller SATA ports on my Asus P9X79 WS board. I went into the Marvell utility and set the two drives in RAID 0. I then looked on my desk top in Windows 8.1 but couldn't find the RAID so I did a bit of research and found that I needed to allocate them letters. I went into Disk management found the drive, seen as a single drive, and tried to right click and allocate a letter but there was no option. The only option to do anything was to make a simple volume. I looked on line again and this seemed to be the way so I formatted and created to simple volume, allocated a letter and felt very pleased with my self until I noticed that it was reading 6GB volume for a RAID0 of 2 x 3TB HDDs. I then went back into the Marvell utility to do a sanity check and see if I'd made something other than what I thought but in the Utility it read RAID0 64K stripe and strangle 6TB for size here also. I'm totally new to PC's and am sure I'm just looking at it wrong or something. I thought I would have 3TB's of space, is it possible a 6TB RAID0 form 2 x 3TB HDDs? What's going on? Am I even posting this in the right place? Can anyone help?

Mr Mistoffelees 22:41 04 Apr 14

Some useful information in this Intel forum thread.

Secret-Squirrel 09:14 05 Apr 14

"............until I noticed that it was reading 6GB volume...."

Do you really mean six gigabytes?

If you're seeing a single six terabyte volume then that's to be expected for RAID 0.

What are you hoping to achieve with your RAID configuration? Performance increase or fault tolerance?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…