Made a mess of moving a BLUE folder...Help!

sydsnott 18:58 19 Feb 14

Trying to move the Videos Blue folder to another partition, I've succeded in losing it!

The contents, nested folders and their files have moved as required but I really need the blue folder back.

It has just disappeared.

Can I "Convert" a plain old yellow folder to blue ..along with the properties that go with the blue "Ranking"?

sydsnott 11:20 20 Feb 14

Hi David, Already saw that and it scared me! Even from step 12, it's a long long road and I'm sure to mess it up!

I also saw this site: winhelponline but it was just for folders that have turned yellow....mine has totally gone!

I was wondering if Sys. Restore might undo the mess!

What caused me to mess with it was the fact that my "Data" partition had less than 10GB left.

This was how my 500 GB disc is currently partitioned and what free space exists:-

C: Operating system ... currently 44 GB free of 118 GB

D: Recovery ... Currently 114 GB free of 117 GB. No idea what writes to this partition, but apparently I don't have permission to view the Files.

There are 39 folders with similar labels, one such is this:- fefd7aa11e856730cc12b439d25ee9. All the folders except one are empty (0 bytes), the odd one out contains the file "MRT.exe" which I believe is something to do with the "Malicious Software Removal Tool".

E: Apps ... Currently 112 GB free of 114 GB

F: Data ... Currently 10.1 GB free of 116 GB this partition's bar graph had turned red due to the limited capacity.

I was told that Windows Disk Management Utility couldn't "snatch" space from partitions to the left of the one you want to extend, so the easiest solution would be to move folders to the "Apps" partition.

This is where it went "mammaries aloft".

Having decided to move "My Videos" and "My Music", a total of 60GB, I first attempted to move "My Videos" using the "Location" tab of its properties, I pointed it to "E:\"......I was advised that doing it this way, Windows would look after all the links etc. so that programmes requiring access would not be aware that the folders had moved....Wrong! Only the files and folders within the blue folder were moved and the blue folder its self, just evaporated!

Now I have the entire "E" partition appearing in my "Admin" folder on the desktop, it is displayed as a bar graph just as it is on the "Computer" window, but the video folders are all seperate among the application files and all software requiring access cannot find the folders!

sydsnott 15:35 23 Mar 14

For the benefit of anyone else who finds themselves in this predicament, here is the solution that worked for me. Copy and paste the following command into an elevated Command Prompt:-

• *reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /t REGEXPANDSZ /d "E:\Videos" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /t REGEXPANDSZ /d "E:\Videos" /f*

Job Done ... well almost, the fact that the folder had been moved from its home severed all links and shortcuts to it, ... I've yet to find someone who can tell me how these can be re-established.

sydsnott 15:39 23 Mar 14

No idea where the asterisks at the beginning and end of the command have come from, but I suggest that they should be omitted. The command should be :-

**reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /t REGEXPANDSZ /d "E:\Videos" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "My Video" /t REGEXPANDSZ /d "E:\Videos" /f**

sydsnott 15:40 23 Mar 14

RATS! I give up! The damn things are breading!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…