locked directories in new Win 7 installation

dichro1 19:17 25 Sep 13

Even though I am using the administrator user, the documents and settings and other folders are locked. I have not been able to find out how to unlock them. I have tried many items in the control panel.

johndrew 09:48 26 Sep 13

I am presuming you mean there is a 'lock' on the folder icon. If so you need to change the "Permissions" to access it. Hopefully the following should work:

• Right-click the folder or drive that has a lock icon and click "Properties"
  • Click on the "Security" tab, then click "Edit" to change permissions. Click "Add", another box will open with a text field
  • In the text field for "Object Name", enter in "Users" (without quotations), click "OK"
  • Click "Apply", "OK", and if it works properly, the padlock next to the icons should be gone.
  Zeppelyn 14:41 26 Sep 13

The documents and settings and similar folders are designed to be locked. they are just junction points really. You can access the info by going to C:\Users\username folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…