A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing

Tinky's Dad 21:49 23 May 07

My new Vista disc arrived on Monday and I promptly installed it on my laptop. Before I went online I thought I had better install some protection so visited my local PC World. I purchased McAfee's Total Protection. Using my wireless network I found access to the internet extremely sporadic. I tried fiddling to make it work but by Tuesday was unable to connect to the net at all. Thinking it may be a conflict between the McAfee firewall and the router firewall I uninstalled McAfee to see if that would give internet access and pinpoint the problem. Unfortunately I had allowed McAfee to encript my wireless connection and this was not uninstalled with the programme. So I reinstalled McAfee. But it could not now log on through it's own encription. So I thought if I used a Windows restore point this would take me back to where McAfee was working and I could switch off the wireless encription and proceed as before. Unfortunately McAfee does not appear to have survived the 'restore' it now displays a red cross on the quick launch bar which when activated opens a blank window.
How much damage have I done?

BRYNIT 23:39 23 May 07

Not sure if you have done any damage.

This taken from the McAfee web site on how to remove McAfee should help.

Download and run the McAfee Removal tool
NOTE: Always be sure to uninstall your McAfee product through Add/Remove Programs, first. The following steps should only be taken if uninstalling through Add/Remove Programs has failed.

Download the removal tool from click here.
Click Save and save the file to any folder on the computer.
Navigate to the folder where the file is saved.
Make sure all McAfee application windows are closed.
Double-click MCPR.exe and the removal tool will start automatically.
Note: Windows Vista users must right-click and select Run as Administrator.
Once the removal tool is finished, you will be prompted to restart your computer. If you choose to restart later, your McAfee product will not be fully removed until you do.
Wait for the computer to restart.

Tinky's Dad 20:35 24 May 07

Brynit

Thank you for your response.
I downloaded the tool and whilst it found bits of McAfee it did not solve the problem.
McAfee has encrypted my wireless router and cannot itself get back onto the router to remove the encryption.

Regards

TD

skidzy 21:06 24 May 07

Time to reset the router,look for a pin sized hole and use a pen or small pin.

Make sure it is disconnected from the mains first !!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5