Life-span of Vista?

bow1 08:22 03 Nov 06

Apparently microsoft has said it will be limiting the number of machines to which vista can be transferred to just one.

Apparently, computers now have longer life-spans, so you are unlikely to want to upgrade your PC after switching to vista until the next operating system comes out.

Now if that also includes upgrading components then I,d at best get 8 months use for my £190 and at worst 6_7 weeks, i,m constantly upgrading something or other.

No Value.

In the 3 or so years I,ve had XP my PC has totally changed and I just reactivate each time it asks.

If F.E. can shed any light on this I,d be appreciative.

Newuser38 10:17 03 Nov 06

see click here this seems to answer the queries we all have on re-activation. I have posted it on click here as well.

bow1 13:46 03 Nov 06

Thank you Newuser38.

sunny staines 16:38 03 Nov 06

talking with mates one rekons vista allows only 8 installs, thats ok for most people. i do a reformat every year and sometimes when i mess up and cannot get a satisfactory fix from a bad download or install.

anyone any news on 8 installs, I know norton are supposed to have a similar limit burnt into their cd's some how or is this just pure hype and nonsense

Forum Editor 12:46 05 Nov 06

Microsoft are well aware that the published licence terms were deeply unpopular, and it was never going to be something they could force on the market.

I'm delighted to be able to tell you that as a consequence of being pestered by people like me, on behalf of people like you, they've changed their minds. Read this, from a Microsoft spokesperson:-

"Our intention behind the original terms was genuinely geared toward combating piracy; however, it’s become clear to us that those original terms were perceived as adversely affecting an important group of customers: PC and hardware enthusiasts. You who comprise the enthusiast market are vital to us for several reasons, not least of all because of the support you’ve provided us throughout the development of Windows Vista. We respect the time and expense you go to in customizing, building and rebuilding your hardware and we heard you that the previous terms were seen as an impediment to that -- it’s for that reason we’ve made this change. I hope that this change provides the flexibility you need, and gives you more reason to be excited about the upcoming retail release of our new operating system."

So, that worry is out of the way. The new version of the Vista EULA has been amended to say:

"You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices."

Totally-braindead 12:54 05 Nov 06

Saw this on the front page Peter and this is very good news for the likes of me. You were completly right when you said that what they say before its new OS was released may be different from what they say later.
I can only say I am glad to see they saw sense as the license they wanted initially with you not being able to transfer it to another PC more than once was to me a disaster.

bow1 15:13 05 Nov 06

Thanks for putting this clear F.E. Some of us can only keep up with PC technology by upgrading our existing components regularly, so let the tinkering continue.

Forum Editor 15:30 05 Nov 06

It is good news for those of you who like to upgrade, or those who reformat from time to time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos