LG BH10LS30 won't read any Disks in Windows 8.1

Bobz19 11:00 19 Mar 14

...Last time on Bob c*cked it up:

-Newly Build Computer.

All custom Hardware; MB: MSI Z87-G43 Gaming Socket: 1150 CPU: Intel i3-4130 3.4Ghz S/1150 RAM.: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB (2X4GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GT 630 STOR.: SSD: Corsair: 120GB LS Series ( on SATA 3.0) HDD: Lacie 500GB Rikki (on SATA 2.0) OS: WIN 8.1 OptD: LG BH10LS30 (on SATA 3.0) PSU: Antec 850W

First visible problem: In BIOS the Drive was visible and set to Boot priority #1, but it didn't recognise a Windows 8.1 OS OEM DVD disc after many resets. That was fine to bypass though, by creating an ISO image of the disc, then put it on to Flash drive.

I Booted from that.

I installed all updated drivers and utility recommended from the Motherboard Company (MSI) then from the GPU Company (NVidia)

I tested some CD & DVD Games which is what I mostly intend to use the optical drive for.

I did not think you had to have software to play CD & DVD Game disks for this optical drive on Windows 8.1, is this where the problem lies?

chub_tor 16:16 19 Mar 14

New firmware for this drive was released a short time ago. Click Here you might want to check that you have it installed.

Bris 20:06 19 Mar 14

I am using one of these drives on W8.1 with the original firmware with no problems encountered so far.

Try plugging it into a SATA 2 port.

Maybe a firmware update as chub_tor suggested will cure your problem.

imendpc 09:31 23 Mar 14

For optical drives using Windows XP SP2, Vista and Windows 7, no special device driver is required as this is carried out in BIOS initially then load standard Windows drivers automatically. This fact is confirmed again by its manual. The cause is most likely to be the LG BH10LS30, either test it in another computer or place another optical drive in its place. But before you do this try the simplest thing which is to plug the sata cable into different sata ports on your motherboard. There is a tiniest of chance that the firmware is corrupted so worth updating this but firmware in itself is sufficient to use its drive at a BIOS level. You can also load the bios defaults just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…