Latest on Nvidia drivers

Kate B 18:03 05 Feb 07

I've just had a long conversation with the Nvidia PR on the subject of Vista drivers.

For those of us with Nforce 4 and above mobos, the drivers are actually on the Vista DVD - he said they'd done a clean install of Vista on an Nforce 4 mobo with Raid and it had gone like a charm, so I'll be giving that a whirl later in the week. However, he conceded that it was daft that the drivers aren't up for download on the website and that it looks as though they're not there. He's yelling at them to put the drivers up for download.

The bad news is that if you have an Nforce 2 or 3 mobo, chances are you won't get any Vista drivers. Almost definitely not for Nforce 2 and probably not for Nforce 3.

There should be an SLI driver for the 7x and 6x series graphics cards up by the end of the week, though I'll get that confirmed tomorrow. There is already SLI support for the 8800s, though surely only a stupidly rich nutter would be running 8800s in SLI given a) the price and b) the absence of DX10 games!

Hope that makes some of us a bit happier!

Totally-braindead 18:17 05 Feb 07

They are doing the same thing as they did when XP came out. Forcing people to upgrade by not creating drivers.
When I made my move to XP I had to bin my scanner as there was no XP driver and the manufacturer said they had no intention of creating one for older machines.
So I bought a new scanner. But I didn't buy from from the people who refused to create a new driver. I bought another make.
I do realise that its a rather large job to create drivers for a new operating system for all of your old products but I hope some of the motherboard manufacturers create their own drivers. I presume they are allowed to do this?
Anyway this is just another reason not to move to Vista now. Better to wait with your old dependable XP machine and in a few years time get a new PC.

Flak999 18:36 05 Feb 07

I have a Asus A8N-Sli deluxe mobo which uses the Nforce 4 chipset I also have dual 6800 GT graphics cards in Sli mode so am I correct in thinking that Vista should install ok on this board?

I have run the vista upgrade advisor and the only problem it flags up is for my internal Zoom ADSL PCI modem!

Kate B 18:44 05 Feb 07

Flak999, yes, in theory, though there isn't an SLI driver for those cards yet - there will be one by the end of the week, though, I'm told.

Totally-braindead 18:44 05 Feb 07

Flak999 I have the same board as you but with a single 7600GS and the upgrade advisor won't even run on mine. I suspect it might be something to do with my RAID configuration but thats a guess.
According to what Kate B has posted then once the drivers are available you SHOULD be able to install Vista. Fingers crossed. With a bit of luck.
Its funny that some people seem to have got it running with no problems at all and some seem to have no end of bother. I would like to find out what items specifically cause the problems. Is it all down to driver issues I wonder or something else.
I would also like to know why the upgrade advisor won't work on my PC.

Flak999 19:03 05 Feb 07

Thanks both. I will wait until there are some properly tested SLi compatible drivers available I think!

Kate B 16:42 06 Feb 07

More on this: the Nvidia PR has spent much of the afternoon, it seems, getting Vista installed on a set-up almost identical to mine and it seems that the key is to make sure you have the most up to date bios, so I am facing a slightly scary bios update tomorrow ahead of having another go at installing Vista on my rig. Reassuringly, he says that once they'd done that, it went swimmingly, so watch this space.

Also, on graphics cards drivers, they will officially all be there at the end of March.

Totally-braindead 16:55 06 Feb 07

Kate B end of March thats 8-9 weeks, I'm sure that people with £400 graphics cards will be ecstatic at that news. I'm curious to know if you asked him why they packaged graphics cards with a Vista ready logo on it when they aren't Vista ready at all. Did you get a chance to ask?

Regarding the BIOS update I have never had one gone wrong and am sure yours will go ok too.
I think I'm right in saying you have the same board as I have aren't I an ASUS A8NSLI Deluxe and I suppose therefore I would have to flash the BIOS too. Not good news.

Kate B 16:59 06 Feb 07

Read my piece in the Guardian on Thursday! Their argument goes that the 8800 *is* ready for Vista - there's SLI support for it in Vista which there isn't yet for the 7x and 6x cards, which I think is just about sustainable as a response. The trouble is that at present there is reduced performance in Vista for those cards. Glad I haven't rushed out to buy one, I must say.

Thanks for the reassuring words on the bios update. I think I can do it from within Windows, which makes me feel slightly better. I'll let you know how it goes - yes, we have the same board.

Totally-braindead 17:22 06 Feb 07

Use the ASUS Update program from your motherboard CD for the BIOS update, better still see theres a newer version on the website, in my opinion its safer this way. As I said the few times I did do it I didn't have a problem.
I don't agree with his response though. Its not Vista ready when there is only a BETA driver available, that to me is just an excuse, a flim flam. If he said that the marketing guys had jumped the gun a bit I could agree and understand that but what he said in my opinion is a lame excuse.

Forum Editor 17:54 06 Feb 07

I'm sure you don't need a reminder, but on the basis of "when it's too late it's too late".......

Don't forget to backup any important data files, and your contact list before Flashing the BIOS.

Many's the 'simple' BIOS update that has ended with a dead machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…