Laptop with Vista will not boot

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 15 Mar 08

Friend as contacted me by e-mail her nearly new vista laptop is not booting and come up with :-

stop C0000219 fatal system error the verification of known DLL failed. system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0XC0000221 (0X85C46600 0X0000000).

on reattempt to boot

stop; 0X000000ED (0X82FA3E20 0XC000009C 0X000000 0X00000000) restart - if same screen appears - windows updates? - disable BIOS memory options such caching or shadowing. safe mode - remove or disable components. restart F8 - advanced start-up options - safe mode

Looks to me like a corrupt hard drive and if it was XP I would be booting from CD to Recovery console and run Chkdsk.

How do you do that with vista and no CD?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 15 Mar 08

HAve advised her so far to do a startup repair as per click here

Any other suggestions welcome.

sunny staines 17:21 15 Mar 08

thats the trouble with all these companies not supplying O/S discs with the pc. I am sure it done so they make on repairs.

Has you friend not got backups and a recovery disc? A long way round but might be the only option.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:49 15 Mar 08

Am awaiting reply from e-mail sent to advise startup repair so not sure wether she has disks or not.

BurrWalnut 19:09 15 Mar 08

If she doesn’t have a Vista DVD, she (you) can download and then create a Recovery Disk ISO here click here Try to avoid the torrent as it may be slow. From the ISO image on your hard disk, create a CD (a DVD is not necessary as it’s only 120MB).

It works in the same way as the Vista DVD, i.e. boot from the disk, choose ‘Press any key to boot from CD/DVD’ and Vista will start to load the Windows files. Select your language, time/currency and keyboard then click ‘Repair’ in the bottom left corner. Within the repair option there are five choices: Startup Repair, System Restore, Backup Restore, Memory Test and Command Prompt.

This CD will also boot to an XP installation and allow the Command Prompt option to run programs like chkdsk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:51 16 Mar 08

Thanks for that , something useful to know.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 23 Mar 08

PC world are sending her a Vista CD/DVD, hopefully she can carryout the repair using it when it arrives.

J B 09:20 24 Mar 08

Good information, bookmarked. J.B.

zarobian 13:47 24 Mar 08

Good info but will not work. Created an iso cd that does not boot the computer.

Sorry I have no intention to hijack this thread.

'Z'

zarobian 14:05 24 Mar 08

No offence intended I assure you.

'Z'

BurrWalnut 14:27 24 Mar 08

I've tested it in Vista and XP and it works. In the root directory it should have 2 folders and 1 file, 119MB total size.

Try, either downloading it again or burning it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…