Laptop set to never shutdown/hibernate but still closes down

jimfoz 09:38 30 May 13

Hi there I have a brand new Windows 8 enabled Acer S3 laptop. I sometimes need to log onto it remotely via Logmein, but find that it has gone offline, normally after 10 hours idleness. I have set it never to go to sleep (although the display is set to turn off after a couple of hours), except that it does appear to go into hibernation. Is this a new safety feature of Windows 8 that now stops you leaving laptops on for longer than 10 hours? Or is there another power setting I need to look at?

chub_tor 10:36 30 May 13

I presume that you have been into Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Power Options, Edit Plan Settings and set the Put the Computer to Sleep to Never but have you clicked on Change advanced power Settings, Hard Disk and set it to Never turn off. There is a bunch more settings you can change in that Power Options panel.

jimfoz 10:46 30 May 13

Thanks - I will give this a whirl. I have already done the other settings but the HD was set to turn off after 15mins so I have changed this to 'Never'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…