Laptop to Desktop Pc

jovee121208 14:34 25 Apr 12

Help needed....i have a Desktop PC windows 7 pro connected by ethernet cable which is downstairs..i have a Samsung r-159 laptop which has wireless also windows 7 pro which is upstairs,the problem i am having is that the laptop will not connect to the internet,it keeps saying it needs to be connected by a cable,can anyone figure this out for me please.

Thank you

mgmcc 17:52 25 Apr 12

Is the Laptop's "wireless" switched on? This is usually done either with a physical switch on the edge of the Laptop or with a combination of the Fn key and one of the F keys along the top.

If its WiFi is definitely enabled, clicking the network icon beside the clock should bring up a list of the networks that it finds. Click the entry whose SSID matches that of your router and you should be prompted to enter the WEP/WPA/WPA2 key and then be connected.

Only if its WiFi hasn't been enabled should it tell you to connect with an ethernet cable.

jovee121208 20:21 25 Apr 12

Hi, The wireless automatically comes on,the network icon does not bring up a list of networks even though the laptop is on upstairs,but it keeps on asking for to plug in an ethernet cable,saying that i went into device manager and there is a question mark which points at network controller driver.

mgmcc 20:30 25 Apr 12

It would appear then that the drivers haven't been installed for the network adapter that has the question mark against it.

jovee121208 22:45 25 Apr 12

Do you know what drivers i would need then and where to find them as this is all new to me.

Thank you

jovee121208 22:47 25 Apr 12

My laptop is a Samsung NP-R519 and not as in the first post as i made a mistake.

mgmcc 08:51 26 Apr 12

I am a bit confused. On the Samsung site they show an R610 (NP-R610, picture & link), but if I try to find NP-R519 in the list, it doesn't go alphabetically passed NP-Q so I cannot see how to access drivers for other NP-R products. You may have to contact Samsung directly.

john bunyan 09:12 26 Apr 12

In device manager, highlight the item, right click and choose update drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung live stream - Samsung IFA 2016 live stream: How to watch Samsung's IFA 2016 press…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Typography Influences Taste: A Wine Night with Expert Sarah Hyndman

Does Apple pay tax? | Why doesn't Apple pay more tax: Complete guide to Apple's tax affairs