Keyboard & Mouse Occasional Freezing

avesnes1 17:54 09 Nov 07

Bit of an odd problem, this one!

I have XP on one internal hard disk and Vista on another with dual booting.

If I am using XP and I want to change to Vista, I use the re-start button and occasionally XP takes 2-3 minutes to shutdown rather than a few seconds. If I then load Vista after the longer shutdown, everything seems to be going OK except that suddenly the mouse and the keyboard freeze.

The only way back is by pressing and holding the on/off button. The freeze has occurred as the Vista startup screen is being assembled and it has also occurred a few minutes into using OpenOffice Calc.

I don't seem to be able to produce the Vista freeze if XP shuts down in a few seconds, nor if I close XP down completely (i.e. not using the re-start button) regardless of slow or fast XP shut down speed.

I would be very grateful for any thoughts/comments/ideas etc. from members.

Thanks in advance.

skidzy 21:13 09 Nov 07

Sounds like driver issues ! run the advisor tool while in xp click here

What keyboard and mouse are you using ?

avesnes1 22:09 12 Nov 07

Skidsy,
Thanks for the thoughts. The machine is an HP Pavilion desktop with a "Windows Vista Capable" label stuck on it. It certainly runs Vista Home Premium OK. It was bought last December with XP on it and with the promise of a free upgrade to Vista (which I took).

The Keyboard and the Mouse are both wireless and are the original HP equipment.

What I find a bit baffling is the intermittent nature of the problem.

avesnes1 07:32 13 Nov 07

Just to add to the bafflement....

Having posted my 22:09 message above, I re-started the desktop. It took 2-3 minutes to re-start and I went into Vista and, of course, I could not replicate the keyboard & mouse freeze!?

Perhaps it's just one of life's little mysteries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017