JVC camcorder and Vista

looneyonthegrass 11:54 11 Jun 07

I bought a new computer from Evesham with Vista Premium installed. I thought, at last I now have a machine that I can use to edit and burn all my holiday videos on.
I have a JVC GR-D93EK DV camcorder. My PC has an intel core 2 duo processor e6300 with 1gb of ram and a 256mb ddr nvidia 8500gt pci express graphics card with tv out and dvi.
The software provided with the camcorder should be able to run on any of the previous incarnations of windows. According to the information I can find on Vista that means that it should be capable (compatible) of running under xp settings.
I have installed the drivers from the disk along with the software but I can't get the software to work or find the camera as a removable disk. WHen I start the computer it says that it is preparing the drivers for the new hardware and says everything is fine and the device is ready for use. When I check on the computer list there is no new removable disk showing. Of the ones that are there when I click on them they all ask for a disk to be inserted.
I have attempted everyway possible to install the drivers and sofware but I still can't get it to work. The software is imagemixer 1.7. When I click on the button to transfer from the camcorder a message appears saying that there was a problem and it has stopped working, windows will let me know if there is a solution. I haven't had any solutions yet! Please help, I'vebeen promising my family for the last 2 years that when I get my new PC with a DVD burner I would give them copies of the holidays that we all wnet on. I'm really frustrated now as it seems I still can't deliver.

zarobian 17:07 11 Jun 07

Are you connectng your camcorder to your computer via Fire wire (1394) or using USB 2 connection?

anskyber 17:52 11 Jun 07

From what I can see this software is not yet Vista compliant.

Have you tried to use the inbuilt Windows Movie Maker in Vista?

looneyonthegrass 20:47 11 Jun 07

Hi Zarobian and anskyber.
I'm using a usb2 connection.
I have also installed all of the drivers and tried to use the movie maker on vista but I can't find the camcorder. I thought it would show up as as removable disk or something but I can't seem to find it.
I'm sure I saw something saying about a 32-bit driver, could this be the problem? My Vista is 32 bit.

looneyonthegrass 03:50 13 Jun 07

I've been in touch with JVC direct. It appears I need a 1394 IEEE Firwire port and lead etc to use my camcorder with vista. I can then use movie maker and not bother loading the imagemixer software. Problem is I have no firewire ports at the moment and the 2 PCI slots I have are being used so I need to pull out my sound card and revert to the onboard sound.
I've been searching for a 1394 PCI firewaire card that will be suitable for Vista. All the ones I have looked at so far only go as far as XP. The advice from my PC supplier is that I should check the manufacturers website for an updated driver for the card as that is how they are dealing with the issue. Any ideas where I can get one that is compatible and won't cost me an arm and a leg?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…