Java Update

ArthurJB 15:56 13 Dec 08

I have been using Windows Live Mail (WLM) for a long time with very little problem, I was offer a Java update this week, I updated, then WLM would not open. I did a system restore and WLM works again. Is there a Known problem with WLM and Java? any help would be appreciated as I am still being offered the Java update and I believe in keeping my computer to the latest state.
Arthur Batson

sunnystaines 16:13 13 Dec 08

ok here. i always make a point of deleting java before installing the new versions.

goto control panel delete all java and download a fresh new version it might help.

peter99co 21:50 13 Dec 08

Java Update installed no problem.

ArthurJB 12:21 14 Dec 08

I think you have missed the point, I have no problem updating Java. The problem is when Java is updated Windows Live Mail does not operate

Rob_08 12:28 14 Dec 08

Hi ArthurJB.
Although ive never heard of the issue you are having with Java and WLM ( as they are completely unconnected) It may be worth you runnig Javara to clean up your old install of Java before updating to 6.11. After you clean up. REBOOT.
Then install the latest.

Javara:

JavaRa is a simple tool that does a simple job: it removes old and redundant versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE).

Java software in general and the Java JRE in particular allow you to run applications called 'applets' that are written in the Java programming language. You probably have Java JRE installed on your computer because these applets allow you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortgage interest, view images in 3D, as well as many others.

As with all software, the JRE is updated on a regular basis. Updates are necessary to add new functionalities, to remove programming bugs or to repair possible vulnerabilities.

Usually older versions of programs are removed during the install of new versions but Sun (the owner of Java) has somehow decided not to do this. The result is that a number of different versions of the JRE may exist on your computer. These older versions potentially pose a threat to your sense of security due to the possible vulnerabilities or security holes that may exist in them.

Java advises users to always have the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The latest version is always the recommended version because it contains updates and improvements to previous versions of the JRE. The latest available version is always compatible with the older versions.

But they also tell you that you can keep older versions of the JRE installed, in case you have an applet or an application that still depends upon a previous version. But this warning is quite useless as all applets and applications should be kept updated to ensure a maximum level of safety and security.

click here

brundle 14:03 14 Dec 08

Are you sure you need Java? I don't bother installing it anymore and don't miss it. Of course if you use a site that requires it, ignore this...

ArthurJB 08:39 18 Dec 08

I removed all older versions of Java, then updated Java, then installed the latest newly updated version WLM and rebooted. WLM would not work, I repaired it, rebooted again a success. Thanks to all who replied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…