java

vectismanpaul 22:18 17 Jan 09

Dear all

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the java software on my Dell Inspiron Desktop. For ages and ages it has always worked well. However a couple of months ago it disappeared from IE 7 and continues to regularly do so!! Now we are at the stage when I have to reinstall it everytime I open the browser before that I had to everytime I restarted my computer!! It will sometimes appear as an add on in IE7 all enabled but does not appear in the internet options list! (and sometimes vice versa!!) Sometimes I have to install and uninstall it several times before being able to access a chat room or whatever. Its becoming a waste of time!! Its strange that I have a Dell M1730 ;laptop with almost identical set up and the problem never occurs!! Any ideas out there please? I have been searching the net but haven't yet quite found a problem as similar as mine. Sometimes java cofirms itself as installed but when I go to a place needing it says I dont have it!! Already today I have had to install unstall reinstall several times!!! Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

User-1229748 22:53 17 Jan 09

are you uninstalling the old java before installing the latest?could also run ccleaner after you uninstall the old java.are you installing the latest java fromclick here

User-1229748 22:54 17 Jan 09

also ccleanerclick here

User-1229748 22:56 17 Jan 09

sorry should also say i like the old way of restarting pc after uninstalling and installing

vectismanpaul 23:31 17 Jan 09

Hi
Thanks for your replies. I always use latest versions of both ccleaner and java. In fact the best results I got was using an older version. I t worked ok for weeks withoiut disapperaing. I wonder if IE7 security settings are maybe to blame. Keep the suggestions coming.

Paul

brundle 00:01 18 Jan 09

What application on the 'net do you actually need Java for?

User-1229748 02:16 18 Jan 09

actually the best version of java for me was java 6 update 7 as when i closed the java window i got a message saying vista has used compatibility settings.try going to your sunjava,in mine its computer-local disk c - swsetup - sunjava then right click setup and then properties then compatibility then tick the box run this program in compatibility mode then use the xp setting,could be worth a try.

User-1229748 03:17 18 Jan 09

sorry instead of swsetup go program files-java-jre6-bin-right click java-properties-compatibility-check box to run as xp. i must also say the java6 update7 was the only program that ever used the compatibility settings with success so it's extremely doughtfull anyway :o(

vectismanpaul 17:59 18 Jan 09

Many thanks for your replies. I didnt find anything useful there. I am giving up with Java on this machine. I have actually downloaded it uninstalled and reinstalled it some 20 times today!! I have cleaned registry and done everything one could. It works for a few mins then thats it. Everytime I close the browser or shutdown computer it disappears. Even when it appears as an enabled add on in IE7 it doesnt work ,with websites assuring me its not there!! I give up. time is too precious. Probably do me good anyway not to spend time chatting in the various rooms I do. Thanks again.

Paul

vectismanpaul 17:10 24 Jan 09

Hi there

Thanks for your replies.I downloaded Firefox for when I want to use Java and use IE7 the rest of the time. Hopefully the next Java update will overcome the isues it seems to have at the moment with IE7.

Paul

rdave13 21:24 24 Jan 09

One thing you could try is uninstalling java then rebooting. Open IE7 and then reset IE7 via tools, internet options and advanced tab. You will lose all saved passwords and form filling but retain add-ins and favourites. Add-ins will all be disabled but easy enough to re-enable. Before you do download latest java and see if it works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…