I've just upgraded - and it's hell!

Red Devil 15:47 13 Dec 07

Hi all,

OK, I took the plunge today and upgraded to Vista - and wish I hadn't!

I'm having a number of issues but 2 stand out as being needed to be solved sooner rather than later.

Firstly, Comodo firewall will not run at startup. I get an error message telling me that there was a problem that prevented it's starting. I tried running the diagnostic that offered to run to solve this problem and it did and told me the problem had been fixed. However, at the next startup the problem reappeared.

And the next.

And the next.

You get the drift.

Fine, I said, I'll just uninstall it and then re-install it. Except that I'm not allowed to as I don't have "Administrator" privileges even though the account I am logged in on is an Admin account.

So how the hell do I solve this? I have Comodo 3 Pro which is "supposed" to be Vista ready before anyone asks as I know is one of the first questions I will get asked.

I have read that even though I have an Admin account set up that it isn't the "true" Admin account (!!!) and that I need to enable it. Except that I read that you have to disable all the other Admin accounts first to be able to do so and, guess what? I'm not allowed to disable them all! I have to have at least 1 Admin account running as Vista won't allow me to disable the last one The option to disable it is greyed out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly, 3 programs are blocked at startup that I *need* to be running. One is an autoupdater for a spyware program I have, 1 is the driver for one of my PCI devices and the other is the program that controls my motherboard's RAID controller.

Every time I start Vista up, I am told that these programs have been blocked. I have to allow them manually and am totally peed off at having to do so. I want them to start automatically and so want to be able to tell Vista that these programs have permission/the rights/whatever-the-hell-you-need-to-tell-them to be run at startup and not be blocked from running.

But, guess what? There's no way to natively do that in Windows Vista! I did read a number of articles that all say that I need to create a task for these setting certain triggers, granting the task full privileges and then setting the task to run the 3 programs concerned to get around this.

Except it doesn't work.

So now I have 4 programs that are vital to me in my computer setup that either won't work and can't be fixed or are banned from running automatically.

How do I get around this? Any help will be gratefully received by yours truly though I will say that I wish I had never upgraded now that I have sampled the Vista "experience" and the way Vista seems to work is symptomatic of Microsoft's approach to a problem - use a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It was always pointed the flaws in granting Admin privileges so easily in previous versions of Windows so now they remove the possibility of accessing the "true" Admin account - even when you desperately need it.

Way to go Microsoft.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

BurrWalnut 15:54 13 Dec 07

Here are a few alternatives :-

1. Turn off UAC to carry out the Administrator's tasks?

2. Uninstall SP1.

3. Do what I did, run system restore from the Vista DVD to remove SP1 as I couldn't boot normally.

anskyber 15:55 13 Dec 07

Lets look at each in turn.

Admin either go into all programs find the program, right click and select run as administrator. To have it always running as admin again right click and choose properties you can check the box to get the same.

Right clicking on the desktop icon should do the same.

ened 16:01 13 Dec 07

All I can say to that is that I was unable to use my firewall so I just use Windows Defender.

Like you I installed Vista myself AND I am the only user of the machine, but I can do anything I want, it is just irritating to keep being asked if I have permission amd then having to tick a follow-up box.

When it tells you you need to be the admimistrator just carry on!

Hope this helps in some way because I had some terrible problems initially and found it was worth persevering - I would now be reluctant to return to XP.

anskyber 16:02 13 Dec 07

comodo and the very latest release has experienced problems some of which have been reported here.

ventanas 16:02 13 Dec 07

First of all the Admin account. You will always be a standard user in Vista, despite what you set yourself up as. Just find the shortcut to the uninstaller, right click on it, and choose Run as Administrator. That should sort that one. Of course you could turn off UAC, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The blocking of the programs is probably nothing to do with permissions, but some "confusion" between the software and Vista. I had the same problem with Roxio Drag to Disc. (Program blocked due to something or other when there was no reason for it) There was a fix on their web site. I should see if there are any updates for your programs.

Stick with Vista. You won't regret it in the long run. It simply leaves XP standing in all areas.

I would also use the run as admin option whenever you have any issue with a program, either installing or running. And yes, it is Microsoft's policy to phase out the administrator account, according to the Vista book that I have.
But apart from that one issue with Roxio I have not had a single issue with three machines, and it goes like a train despite what others may say.

ventanas 16:03 13 Dec 07

First of all the Admin account. You will always be a standard user in Vista, despite what you set yourself up as. Just find the shortcut to the uninstaller, right click on it, and choose Run as Administrator. That should sort that one. Of course you could turn off UAC, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The blocking of the programs is probably nothing to do with permissions, but some "confusion" between the software and Vista. I had the same problem with Roxio Drag to Disc. (Program blocked due to something or other when there was no reason for it) There was a fix on their web site. I should see if there are any updates for your programs.

Stick with Vista. You won't regret it in the long run. It simply leaves XP standing in all areas.

I would also use the run as admin option whenever you have any issue with a program, either installing or running. And yes, it is Microsoft's policy to phase out the administrator account, according to the Vista book that I have.
But apart from that one issue with Roxio I have not had a single issue with three machines, and it goes like a train despite what others may say.

ventanas 16:04 13 Dec 07

Damn, must type more quickley, and be more patient.

anskyber 16:08 13 Dec 07

Have you looked in Control Panel,Programs and change start up programs to see if the blocked ones can be enabled from there?

msconfig (type into search box) will allow you to see if they can be enabled on the startup tab.

Red Devil 16:13 13 Dec 07

I was able to uninstall Comodo.

Taking the advice of anskyber here - cheers - I was able to select Run administrator and unintsall it.

But setting the Run as administrator after right-clicking the 3 programs that won't automatically start doesn't work.

Any advice on this issue will be gratefully received.

anskyber 16:26 13 Dec 07

The 3 programs are being blocked almost certainly because they are not vista compliant, or at least mine (2) at the start were not.

I looked in the relevant websites for vista updates and that fixed it for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac