Internet Surfing problems

Londave 19:09 01 Jul 08

I need help with Vista and surfing the internet.

Very often I have trouble connecting to websites using a desktop with Vista Home Premium. Firefox will report a “The connection has timed out” error. At first I thought it was an ISP problem, then possibly a Firefox issue. However, I’m not dropping Internet connection, as my other XP machine works just fine, as does an on-line game and e-mail retrieval. It also doesn’t seem to be a Firefox issue as IE has the same difficulty.

That leaves, I think, Vista.

The problem seems almost intermittent with some websites appearing almost instantly and then timing out while moving between pages on the same site. Usually hitting the “try again” button will bring the page up, though sometimes it takes several tries. The sites I’m visiting are definitely up (Google, ebay, yahoo etc.) as they can be called up on the XP machine.

I’ve done some searching on the web but have not found a solution. There were some references to the modem/router firewall – suggesting it should be turned off which mine is. I also saw a reference to disabling the TCP/IPv6.

Is anyone else having similar issues?
Can anyone suggest a possible solution?

Intel Core Duo E6750 2.66 GHz
2 GB RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 on a 32-bit system.

brundle 19:13 01 Jul 08

Yes disable TCP/IP v6.
Try disabling TCP autotuning; click here

Londave 17:54 07 Jul 08

Thanks for the quick response Brundle.

I disabled the v6 and the TCP autotuning and it seems somewhat better but still by no means good.

I found this article: Download Vista tcpip.sys and UAC Auto Patcher to Increase TCP Connection Limit
click here

Would that be the next thing to try??

Thanks again

Londave 19:03 07 Jul 08

Thanks for the quick response Brundle.

I disabled the v6 and the TCP autotuning and it seems somewhat better but still by no means good.

I found this article: Download Vista tcpip.sys and UAC Auto Patcher to Increase TCP Connection Limit
click here

Would that be the next thing to try??

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced