Internet security

DonaldDG 08:56 15 Jun 10

I have just joined virgin media cable broadband who offer free virgin media internet security. Is this OK to go with or should I pay for Macafee for my new windows 7 laptop. I have a trial period with Macafee until July 2010

anskyber 10:05 15 Jun 10

I use microsoft security essentials click here it is free and works perfectly for me.

onthelimit 12:55 15 Jun 10

I'm with anskyber - why pay when MSE works so well.

Pete 58 21:07 15 Jun 10

Hi Donald,i started using this security in 2006,not much gets passed it i must say that,but it only has basic functions,eg,it took me over an hour to do a virus scan which is crazy,you cannot do a quick scan.I no longer use it only because it has basic features.Regarding security their are many out their freeware and purchase ones and it all depends what you want to do with them.You will find that people will like one brand and not another.I am using Norton 360 which i like but i do not like Mcafee,it all depends on your preference

sunnystaines 11:50 16 Jun 10

I too use norton 360 on my w7, very good all round product

cheap to fix 22:39 21 Jun 10

as a tech I use

malwarebytes and hitman pro 3.5
both are free and nothing can get passed them
however the paid version is gr8 too.

ronalddonald 18:41 24 Jun 10

I use Linx mint

katkins 18:48 01 Jul 10

I bought AVG Internet Security 2008 for £7.99, in May from 7-day-shop.com and received a CD with instructions to go to AVG website and quote my licence number.

From there, I was allowed to download verson 9.0 and instal it. I was issued with a new licence number during the process.

It contains all the usual software for anti-virus, firwall, e-mail, anti-spyware and spamming protection.

Incidently, there is Savapoint, Directphoto and a few other online shops like that selling batteries, etc which do these deals. I had the choice of Kaspersky too.

katkins 19:26 01 Jul 10

The AVG Internet Security package is now £7.49.

Can be found under 'Specials' and 'Clearance'. There are up-to-date versions for a few quid more.

click here

click here

tigertop2 12:27 04 Jul 10

I have to agree with 'anskyber' and 'onthelimit'
Most of us do quite a bit of research before entrusting safeguarding our data to any security software provider. I have used Microsoft Security Essentials for 6 months on all my PCs. It is light on PC resources,dead simple for anyone to use, does not nafg you constantly, gets a good name generally in the trade reviews--and is free. The big additional bonus for Windows users is that you know it is compatible, no ifs or buts.

birdface 18:30 05 Jul 10

Any other security program you can fully remove from your computer if you decide you do not like it.
You can't with MSE.
It delivers all of its updates through Windows update and they cannot be removed.
I am not saying it is no good, just that you cannot remove it properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5