Internet Icon shows Offiline?

euphonium01 12:47 07 May 15

Can anyone answer why the Internet Icon on my PC shows me as offline when the internet works perfectly well? The icon is the small picture of a pc with a cable to it, it has a red cross through it but, in Network and Sharing Centre I'm clearly connected to the internet? ...strange!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:54 07 May 15

connected by wireless?

rdave13 10:52 08 May 15

Try and reset the notification area icons.

From Seven forums.

madanforever4u 12:28 20 May 15

if you provide the screenshot it will useful

euphonium01 13:10 20 May 15

No, I don't have wireless. My mobo is an Extreme Gigabyte with 2 ethernet ports, both ports are connected to the internet, there are 2 internet connections showing in Network and Sharing Centre.

lotvic 23:43 20 May 15

"2 ethernet ports, both ports are connected to the internet"

Why?

euphonium01 10:10 21 May 15

No reason really, the two ports were there, the two outlets were on the wall so I just connected them, it's never been a problem until recently when the icon suddenly displayed this red cross. I would add a screen shot but don't know how to do that?

lotvic 18:41 21 May 15

It always helps to understand ports before you connect them up. Read techpowerup com/forums/threads/using-dual-gigabit-ethernet-ports ClickHere which has a good post #5 that explains the uses.

If you want to post a screenshot, you can't do that directly on this forum, you have to host your image somewhere and post the (direct) link to it. imgur.com/ is one such hosting site.

euphonium01 09:24 22 May 15

Thanks to everyone, especially 'lotvic' for all your help, I found the problem. I downloaded an online repair manual for a classic vehicle I just purchased, the manual could only be read by using a virtual machine (running Windows XP), this had 'taken over' my internet connections and caused the red cross. Looked up on progamme's website and the information on how to stop it sorted the problem. Once again, thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017