Internet Explorer has stopped working

daizy 10:40 29 Oct 14

I have a problem with my pc since yesterday and i have read lot of forums how to fix it...but the problem is stil there. A poping error is appearing on the screen all the time saying that windows explorer has stopped working. I tryed to fix it with reseting internet settings and with windows logs...but still the windows is poping. Do you have any suggestions?

john bunyan 11:00 29 Oct 14

Could be a hijack. Suggest you download and run ADWCleaner from here:

ADWCleaner

Let it run accept all the suggestions - it will tell you to restart. Also, if you have it, run Malawarebytes.

spuds 11:19 29 Oct 14

What versions of Internet Explorer and Operating system are you using?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 29 Oct 14

Try

Control Panel - Add Remove Programs Scroll down to IE - highlight it and select repair.

Or type

sfc/ scannow

in the search box and let windows find and replace missing or corrupt windows files

john bunyan 11:36 29 Oct 14

There are 3 threads on IE from different enquirers today. I wonder if a bug is around?

nucom 11:52 29 Oct 14

I started with the same problem yesterday but it only applied when I tried to access a couple of the websites, but had no problems with other sites I tried.

I Checked with Service supplier who said there was no problem with my connection and they suggested I wait until today to try again. I also phoned one of the sites I was trying to access but they said they weren't aware of any problems at their end. I couldn't find a tel no for the other site.

I tried again this morning but still had the same problem so I contacted Service supplier again. They said they found a problem with one of the two sites, but not the other, and they again suggested I wait for half an hour or so. Did so but still no joy.

Phoned the website I contacted yesterday and this time they advised they had received several complaints from people trying to access their website yesterday. Phoned the other website who advised they weren't aware of any problems.

As a last resort I tried to access this other website via my laptop, which runs an older version of Windows and I think an older version of IE, and much to my surprise I was able to access the site, but still couldn't do so on my desktop.

I don't know what is going on, particularly as I have had no problems accessing other internet sites I have tried. Maybe its an IE problem, or maybe hackers or the like, but I will be running a full scan with my security software.

Will you please advise if you find out what is going on, and I will do the same

lotvic 11:56 29 Oct 14

"windows explorer has stopped working"

Seems to be some confusion with Internet Explorer (Browser) and Windows Explorer (the file manager of the operating system)

If it is Windows Explorer then I suggest running sfc /scannow several times (4 or 5 times) to replace any faulty Op Sys files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac