Internet Explorer 7 Security Certificate

douglas1973 00:24 17 Apr 07

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.
Since yesterday, when I try to log into some well known sites that I have frequently visited and logged into without any problems, a new page opens as follows:
"There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
This organization's certificate has been revoked.
Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Click here to close this webpage
More information:
If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you are expecting.
When going to a website with an address such as click here try adding the 'www' to the address click here
If you choose to ignore this error and continue do not enter private information into the website."

Why is this happening all of a sudden? I obtain no option to ignore the error and continue. This even happens when I have registered a site as a trusted site in Tools > Options > Security Tab.

anskyber 17:45 17 Apr 07

Can you give us some examples of the sites you are experiencing problems with?

douglas1973 18:44 17 Apr 07

Here are two sites that I am having problems with when I attempt to sign in:
Kodak EasyShare Gallery
click here
I have used this site for over two years without problems.
Jacquie Lawson
http//click here
I have sent animated greetings cards from this site for over two years without any problems.
I must emphasise that I only have the problems that I have described when I attempt to sign in.
Perhaps I should mention that I recently installed Norton 360 however the problems I have described did not occur immediately after installation of Norton 360 - only in the last two days or so.

douglas1973 13:27 23 Apr 07

The problem was almost certainly caused by Norton 360. I had a "live chat" with Symantec Live Technical Support who suggested that I do a number of things, none of which worked. He then asked me to uninstall Norton 360 and then reinstall it. In the process Windows Vista became inoperable! Fortunately I had a mirror image of my hard disk on an external drive created by Acronis True Image (albeit a month old)and was able to install it.
The mirror image includes Norton Internet Security 2007 with which I am now able to access Kodak Easyshare Gallery, click here and other websites without any problems.
It would be interesting to know if other forum readers have had similar problems with Norton 360. Jacquie Lawson support indicated that some of their customers having the same problems as I had were using Norton 360.

BRIJAE2 01:58 06 May 07

I HAVE ALSO RECENTLY INSTALLED NORTON 360 BUT HAD NO PROBLEMS UNTIL I DOWNLOADED YAHOO INSTANT MESSENGER. I SAW THIS POST & DECIDED TO TRY TO UNINSTALL THE MESSENGER & IT WORKED, I CAN ACCESS ALL THE SITES AGAIN. SO I SUPPOSE IT COULD BE ANY OF YOUR DOWNLOADS THAT CAN CAUSE SUCH A PROBLEM.

Anubis1 03:12 06 May 07

This happened to me once whilst trying to get to windows live mail. All i did was restart my computer and everything worked again. I also have Norton 360.

chris-1971 15:21 06 Jun 07

Hi I have the same issue with Norton 360 but the ironic part is that it has locked me out of Norton online help saying that there is a problem with their security certificate.
It began with being locked out of Hotmails page and I have also registered hotmail as a trusted site and this had no effect.I have also tried restarting with no effect. Out of ideas.
Does anyone know how I can fix this?

dth 16:13 06 Jun 07

Am not sure how good these certificates are - whwn I use konqueror for my hotmail account account it comes up with a warning that the site's certificate is not fully valid

zeng 10:35 11 Jul 07
  $slashdot 00:53 14 Nov 07

i dont use norton myself but had a simlar problem with another AV, it was caused by the 'scan encrypted connections setting', if norton scans port 443 then it will intercept the certificate in-turn voiding the said certificate. try dissabling the scanning of port 433 or the port that scans https. hope this helps.
$/.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac