Internet Explorer

billy8 11 Jan 12

I am constantly getting a pop-up from AVG recommending that I switch off IE because it is using too much memory. It quotes a figure of between 450 and 650 mb.

Can anyone explain what is happening and how I can stop it?

difarn 11 Jan 12

It is a new feature in AVG 2012 called AVG Advisor - you can turn it off in Advanced Settings-> Appearance -> "Display AVG Advisor performance notifications".

It could be because of IE add-ons. It can happen when the RAM of the PC is relatively small compared to the size of programmes installed.It is referring to virtual memory rather than RAM - have a look at this article which explains it.

It may be a good idea to try to reset your IE settings - I assume you have IE9 - have a look at this article on how to do this. This will return your IE9 to how it was when first installed and your present settings will be lost.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message