Internet Explorer

Malapoa1 16:59 PM 02 Sep 10

I am trying to help a friend whose PC has not been used for some time. I found that IE would not respond. I did manage to connect to the net through Windows update and downloaded and installed not only 58 updates but also IE8. This I thought would solve the IE problem. Unfortunately it has not. Am I right in thinking it may be the settings of the AVG security programme that are blocking IE. Advice please.

peter99co 23:53 PM 03 Sep 10

When you try to access IE what happens and what do you see on screen?

Malapoa1 08:19 AM 04 Sep 10

Clicking on "E" produces a dailogogue box that says "Internet Explorer not responding". Nothing else.

peter99co 15:03 PM 04 Sep 10

You need to check your set ups IP addressing. Are you Cable Modem, Router or what?

rdave13 21:14 PM 04 Sep 10

Try going to start, all programs, accessories, system tools and select Internet Explorer (no addons). If it opens then go to tool, internet options, advanced tab and reset IE.
Close the browser and try again from the desktop icon.

Malapoa1 12:52 PM 05 Sep 10

Response to peter99co - Router showing four bar signal on PC. Resposnse to both peter99co and rdave13 = thanks for your help. Unfortunately it will be seven days before I can try your ideas as I am away from home all next week. I will report the following week

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Jean Jullien, Supermundane and more design badges for Farmdrop's 'local food revolution'

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know