Internal mem card reader no visible in my computer

martd77 19:03 PM 11 Feb 10

after installing a buffalo usb external terabyte hard drive my internal memory card reader has disappeared from the "my computer" window so if i insert a memory card nothing happens,if i insert a usb memory stick into the card readers usb port the card reader sees it?

how do i get the card reader to work?

running vista premium 32bit

BRYNIT 20:36 PM 11 Feb 10

Has the usb drive taken control of the drive letter originally assigned to your memory card reader.

You could try going into control panel/Administrative tools/computer Management/Disk Management and see if the card reader is showing but has not been assigned a drive letter.

peter99co 21:30 PM 11 Feb 10

I lose mine if I do a safe remove but they re-appear on reboot

martd77 14:41 PM 12 Feb 10

yes i think it has,when looking disc 3(j) is my hp photosmart all in one????

ive got c and k which are internal hd drives
jwhich is the external hd

g which says its mt hp allin one

d and e which are both dvd writers

So its completely disappeared,funny thing is my hp has a memory card reader and that works,surely it shouldnt be listed as a drive in "my computer"

any help accepted

Kevscar1 21:00 PM 13 Feb 10

if it shows in Device manager right click uninstall and reboot. Windows should find it and assign drive letters.

martd77 10:14 AM 14 Feb 10

if what shows in device manager?
Everything but my card reader shows in device manager

BRYNIT 15:30 PM 14 Feb 10

You could try disconnecting your USB hard drive and your printer, reboot computer and then see if the the internal card reader is showing.

martd77 16:02 PM 14 Feb 10

done it already,even unplugged the card reader and plugged back in, im gonna buy a new card reader may be faulty,they are after all only cheap,ive had this 2yrs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off