Installing additional RAM with Vista 32

Cuzer 22:02 12 Aug 07

Hi All

I've had my fair share of teething problems with Vista and a brand new PC I've ordered however for the last 3 months I've finally got it working OK!
One problem is my RAM, I originally ordered 4GB of Ram supplied to me, fitted in 4 x 1GB strips. The PC is now working fine with 3 strips fitted however as soon as I go to install the 4th strip of RAM I've had errors and Window's does not want to boot. Originally I had a blue screen crash saying "an attempt was made to write to read only memory" secondly I had an error message saying "the file is possibly corrupt, the file header checksum does not match the computed checksum" and finally when trying to boot in Safe Mode it wasn't having it and told me to boot from the Windows CD and "repair my computer" telling me the critical system driver fltmgr.sys was missing or corrupt!
I didn't do the above via the Windows CD just took out the culprit ram, re booted and hey presto PC is working fine again.
You would think it's just dodgy ram but I've had two batches of the stuff now and I've got the same issue. My motherboard is the ASUS Stiker Extreme board with up to date drivers if this helps?
Anybody had anything similar or any suggestions? My PC supplier's tech support isn't the best so I'm not holding out much hope of them resolving my problem

Cheers

Cuzer

Cuzer 22:03 12 Aug 07

should read 3 weeks not 3 months! I should be so lucky eh? :-)

Cuzer

gudgulf 22:29 12 Aug 07

That's a very impressive motherboard your system is built on........wouldn't mind one of those myself!.

It should cope with running 4 sticks of RAM...however doing that can stress the memory controllers on the motherboard.

You don't say what sort of memory you are running or the speed/timing of the memory.That information would help us resolve your problem.

What is important is that you should realise that running three memory sticks will mean you are running in single rather than dual channel memory mode.

This will reduce your memory performance substantially......if you can't get it to run with all four sticks in then the next best option is to run 2x1GB sticks in dual channel mode.Until we can sort you out that is.

Cuzer 22:35 12 Aug 07

for the prompt response gudgulf. As you've probably guessed I'm no expert here! lol
Since my first post I've rebooted my PC with the culprit strip of RAM in place of another strip of RAM and it works OK so it's not the RAM, just some issue with my PC accepting the four 1MB of RAM

Looking at my PC order the text on the ram is...
4096MB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - Lifetime Warranty (4 x 1GB)
As for the speed/timing how can I find this out for you? I've certainly not tinkered with anything so it will be whatever it's set at basically

Hope this is the info you need?

Cheers

Cuzer

gudgulf 22:44 12 Aug 07

In order to check/change any settings you will need to enter the BIOS or run a diagnostic program......but we don't need to do that yet.

If you could post the full pc specification first,that would help tremendously.

skidzy 22:45 12 Aug 07
  Cuzer 22:46 12 Aug 07

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/12/2007, 22:45:10
Machine name: CUZER-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 927MB used, 5398MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

paul€ 23:07 12 Aug 07

A windows 32bit system will just take a maximum of 4Gb of ram. That is the total for the whole system. Use ram for say the graphics card and the whole total for the system will be under 4Gb. it would mean that the only the first 3 sticks would be allowed to work, the 4th stick would exceed the ammount windows could handle.

Cuzer 23:10 12 Aug 07

searching the net and following the above link it appears I've been a little ill advised by my PC supplier as I've a 32 bit version of VISTA yet they are happy to flog me 4GB of Ram which really isn't going to be recognised by the OS

Still doesn't explain to me why it won't boot though? Surely it should boot but just tell me I've got 3.5gb or 3.2gb of RAM installed?

Cuzer

vista runs 4gb, but you may have to remap the ram, through bios. i didnt but if you google it there are instructions, maybe contact asus, must be 100'2 of 4 gb vista pc's using that mobo.
click here

click here by the way i think when you add video memory and ram they're roughly 4 gb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…