Install Probs

Mark5001 21:02 22 Jan 10

A friend of mine in Ireland has bought Win 7 Premium to install. The problem is that it has XP Pro on at the moment, and it will not let him format the drive for a clean install. I know you cannot upgrade XP so a clean slate is the only way. I installed Win 7 Ultimate clean instead of upgrading Vista and it let me format the drive so I know it can do it. I am at a loss as to why he cannot. Anybody here had the same problem?
AMD Athlon x2 3200 (I think)
2GB Ram
Ge-Force 5700 256MB
Motherboard unknown.

rdave13 01:42 23 Jan 10

Just a thought, is your friend trying to install Win 7 through Windows or is he booting from the optical drive to reformat and install?
Easy mistake to do.

Mark5001 10:48 23 Jan 10

Talked him through it on the phone so I know he is doing install by booting from dvd. Sees the drive but will not format.

a member 11:06 23 Jan 10

you wont get any format option unless you go through the first few steps choose custom install and then a screen will open up showing your drive /drives , highlight your drive and you will see the format option below the window . , but you can just install at this point if you like win 7 will install and your xp files will be put into a folder on the root of your drive (windows old) you can either use it to retrieve files from your old install or delete it ,its up to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…