IncludeWindows Live Mail (WLM) in startup

nrgarnett 19:00 PM 29 Jan 13

Is it possible in Win8 to add WLM to my Startup files ?

Nigel

pk46 19:41 PM 29 Jan 13

Windows live mail doesn't work on W8 at least it hasn't for me.

nrgarnett 19:57 PM 29 Jan 13

I must confess it's working but its not perfect, I was using Incredimail but I've always mistrusted it, when I uninstalled it recently my response speed got a lot better but I guess it could have been having both on board at that time. What do you use for your mail ??

Nige

mgmcc 22:09 PM 29 Jan 13

You need to create a shortcut for Windows Live Mail in the path:

C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Start-up

The "AppData" folder is a hidden folder, so you may need to configure Windows Explorer to "Show hidden files and folders".

I haven't had any problems running Windows Live Mail in Windows 8, although it is the 2011 version, not 2012.

rdave13 23:34 PM 29 Jan 13

The way I did it was to go to the start page, right click the WLM tile and select 'pin to taskbar'. On the desktop, right click the WLM icon on the taskbar and right click windows live mail in the list and select properties. In the window that opens click on the tab that shows 'open file location'. Right click wlmail.exe and select 'create shortcut'. You'll get a popup saying it can't create it here but do you want it on the desktop? Select yes.

Bottom left with cursor and right click the square start icon and select 'run'. Type or copy and paste shell:startup in the Open:field and click OK. This opens the startup folder. Drag the WLM desktop shortcut into it.

nrgarnett 10:06 AM 30 Jan 13

Thanks for all your assistance folks, it's appreciated.

Nige

chub_tor 15:47 PM 30 Jan 13

I know that not everyone agrees with me but I installed Start8 from Stardock which in Desktop view gives me back the layout I am familiar with from Win7 and so it was easy for me to locate the Windows Live Mail icon from All Programmes, right click it and click to Add to Start. Job done and I now have Live Mail as one of my Apps. I couldn't get on with the Windows 8 Mail App and so unticked that from my front page.

chub_tor 20:28 PM 30 Jan 13

Jock1e do you have Start8? Because I can assure that it puts it among the front page apps on my machine.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…