If I reset my PC will it set me back to 8.1?

BBQGamer 15:14 17 Oct 16

So months ago I purchased Windows 8.1 and I accepted the free upgrade to Windows 10 and I'm now running on the latest version of Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. If I click on (Reset This PC) will it bring me back all the way to Windows 8.1? Because I definitely don't want that to happen, I just would like to Reset This PC and reinstall my current version of Windows 10. I would really appreciate it if anyone could please tell me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 17 Oct 16

If the "Restore to previous version" is no longer shown then no it will only reset windows 10 by replacing system files.

Burn-it 20:30 17 Oct 16

Sorry Fruit Bat it depends on what reset is being done. If the reset is the one that was originally on the machine and is in effect a restore to factory settings it will restore from a second partition and it will be 8.1

Burn-it 20:34 17 Oct 16

However he will still be able to do a free upgrade because the upgrade will have been registered with MS. Or he could install Win 10 from scratch and that should work as his W10 will have been registered.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 17 Oct 16

If I click on (Reset This PC) I assumed this was the one in Settings -Update and security - Recovery

As Restoring the Machine to factory settings is often worded quite differently.

BBQGamer 21:41 17 Oct 16

Thank you both very much for the reply! Yes I did mean going to Settings>Update&security>Recovery>ResetThisPC, I apologize for not making it clearer. I talked to someone who did it themselves and they confirmed it will reset me to my current version of Windows 10, which is good. But they told me just as a precaution I should check the root of my C: drive for a "Windows.old" folder and delete it. Is it safe to delete that folder?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 17 Oct 16

Windows.old contains everything that was in your previous version of windows which was probably win 10 pre Anniversary Update.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 17 Oct 16

if past 30 days (10) since update it will have been automatically deleted.

BBQGamer 00:03 18 Oct 16

I need to make sure if I click Reset This PC it will reset to the latest version of Win 10 Anniversary Update, I can't have it reset to pre Anniversary otherwise I won't be able to utilize the new feature of being able to link your licence to your MS account making hardware changes much easier. So would you recommend I delete "Windows.old"? Is is safe to do that?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:47 18 Oct 16

Yes its safe to delete windows .old if it is still there.

john bunyan 16:23 18 Oct 16

Yes but you can't simply delete it. You have to do that via Disk Cleanup, ticking the clean up system folders including previous windows installation.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…