IE 64 can connect to internet, IE 32/Google Chrome cannot

d_seng 08 Apr 12
Answered

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit o/s, running IE9 32 bit & Google Chrome.

Today, all of a sudden, after configuring and starting up Windows Virtual PC, IE and Google Chrome have stopped connecting to the internet, giving the dreaded message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Even when I try to connect to my router 192.168.0.1, it still gives me the same error. If I use putty to connect to my NAS box 192.168.0.2, I get a similar message.

At command prompt, I can ping to the router, the NAS box and the different websites.

However, I am able to connect to the internet (and the router and the NAS) using IE9 64 bit, and also connect to the internet using the built-in browser in a software called DAP. All other devices in my house, mobile, TV, etc. can connect as before.

I have disabled Windows firewall and also uninstalled the antivirus program (Virgin Media Security - Trend Micro).

I have run out of reasons I can think of.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Happy Easter!

Cheers, Dhruva

difarn 09 Apr 12

Is the virtual pc connected to the network host of the host pc ? If not try this. If this doesn't work and you have any other network adapters installed try those.

d_seng 10 Apr 12

I tried all the different network options, but with no success.

I removed the virtual machine altogether, but it still doesn't work.

Still lost!

difarn 10 Apr 12
Answer

You may find this article useful and it's solution.

d_seng 10 Apr 12

Hey difarn, I owe you one!

I did not have to uninstall SP1 (I never had SP1, it fails to install everytime - about 12 times in 6 months).

I tried netsh winsock reset, rebooted the laptop and voila, it works!

difarn 12 Apr 12

Glad it's sorted.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Microsoft claims its new VR lens system is better than Oculus Rift's

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message