icons for select programs now showing as blank.. possible uac or ownership issue?

theDarkness 17:24 PM 20 Apr 13
Answered

Some desktop shortcuts and their installed program files within C:, are showing as empty icons. I had avast, online armor and uac running upon installation of the program. I initially thought one of these programs (most likely uac) was preventing the icon from showing, as I believe yesterday there was a pop up for continuation of installation of the related program that caused its icon to go blank. The icon is definately not missing, as it shows if I right click on the file to show its properties.

I believe the problem may be related to permissions, as I cannot re-apply the icon (unable to save changes-access denied). I am the only admin user, with a password upon login. I have noticed that the 'owner' of the C: drive is 'trustedinstaller' after updating windows. I cannot change ownership for C: or any programs, such as the one with the blank icon, because windows will not let me access the control editor ('access is denied'). Unlike C:, most programs including the defrag program show the owner to be me, but in both cases to change permissions I am denied access to the control editor. This is after a clean first time installation of 7-32bit. I dont think its as easy as vista to disable UAC, but that may not be a long term solution. Any ideas?

theDarkness 19:59 PM 20 Apr 13
Answer

update-managed to finally change ownership via safe mode (f8 on startup). icons are now showing

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay