i tunes and Vista - Loss of CD drives

graham24 16:43 16 Aug 07

When I install i tunes (version 7.3), I get a problem with both CD drives, they have an error 10 code and are not recognised. When I uninstall i tunes they both reappear and work OK. Has anyone else come across this and what do I do, there is nothing on the apple site or MS site?

skidzy 17:22 16 Aug 07

Try removing the upper and lower filters:

This is aimed at XP but is known to work in Vista occasionly.

Back up your registry first !!!!

You may need to install i tunes first for this to work.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn. click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

Kate B 23:11 16 Aug 07

Hm, I've noticed trouble accessing optical drives in Vista when running the new version of iTunes. You are not alone.

graham24 12:26 19 Aug 07

I tried both recommendations but they did not make any difference. The drives are still there and working after the initial install of i tunes, they disappear after I re-boot. Don't know if that is significant?

Guygush 22:35 27 Dec 07

Skidzy, I used your link, the first one that says click here and I followed the instructions and my cd drive was fixed.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…