I need to Refresh but PC Settings is corrupted and non-existent

Aimee.L 14:07 13 Aug 13

I'm working on a new laptop with Windows 8, but it's not mine, so I'm not so familiar with Windows 8.

The laptop is booting up, but it's as though some of Windows has been wiped out. There are no apps showing and on that side of things, I can get the little picture menu on the right side, and click on settings, then see "Change PC Settings" at the bottom, but when I click there nothing happens. I have read enough to know that in there is the place to ask it to refresh, but it's just not there. When I go into recovery through the Control Panel, I was able to do a restore point, but it wasn't successful. I just used the oldest one she had, evidently not old enough. I can access the computer and I have now installed and run Spybot. There were a lot of problems.

We actually have two of these Samsung laptops in the house, so I have used the one that is working to create a recovery disc. I've booted the computer in question with the recovery disc in the drive, but nothing different happens. It just loads as it has been. I can click on the disc in a file explorer window, but I don't know which file to run or open, or if it can be used this way.

I'd appreciate any help! Thank you!

Aimee

Aimee.L 14:28 13 Aug 13

Thank you for answering. I just did that and got "you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."

Aimee.L 14:39 13 Aug 13

I can't seem to make that happen. I got to the cmd appearing after typing in the search box but a right click doesn't do anything. It flips me back to the other side (normal windows looking desktop) or to the cmd box where I was.

Aimee.L 14:39 13 Aug 13

I have to go for an hour or so. Thank you. I will be back as soon as I can.

Aimee.L 15:16 13 Aug 13

Thank you very much!

Aimee.L 18:03 13 Aug 13

Thanks. Starting in safe mode still didn't let the PC Settings area open, and that's the only way I can find anyone to tell me how to run a refresh or anything else. I have the recovery disk in the computer, but I don't know how to run from it.

This computer is only a month or so old and only has had Windows 8, from new.

Aimee.L 18:57 13 Aug 13

No apps. That's the side that is all gone. I appreciate your attention! Thank you. I'll check back later.

Aimee.L 05:48 16 Aug 13

Thanks again, Jock1e. Still nothing. I'm going to ask our computer guy today how much he would charge to reload Windows for her. I don't know what else to do. But I like to have a go myself, if I can. :) And I'm glad I've found this forum. I almost had to ask yesterday about a wireless repeater, but I've got it up and running.

rdave13 15:22 17 Aug 13

If you don't need to save data or you already have then this might help. As Windows is not loading correctly the link shows to tap the F4 Key at the Samsung logo when you first power on the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…