I am very upset about this!

dave9782 18:42 24 Sep 06

I just installed vista rc1 on my ecs laptop which has a 64mb ati mobility 9000 radeon. The laptop can not run the nice tranparent aero theme. Is there anything i can do to make it work.

anskyber 19:22 24 Sep 06

Not sure. Did you run the Vista upgrade advisor first to see if there are any potential problems? click here

ade.h 19:40 24 Sep 06

You don't have enough graphics RAM to run Aero Glass.

Noelg23 03:03 27 Sep 06

64MB of video RAM? yikes dave, what were you thinking? no wonder u cant get the Aero Glass effect. Like ade.h says you certainly dont have enough VRAM to run it. You might be lucky with 128MB but for the full effect you need 256MB or more. what you have to remember is Vista will be hardware hungry and when I mean hungry, I mean HUNGRY!! take my spec for example:

ASUS A8R-MVP Crossfire Mobo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 CPU (2.2GHz OC'd to 2.42GHz), 2GB DDR 400 PC3200 RAM, 200GB IDE, 80GB IDE, 250GB SATA, ATI Radeon X1300 256MB PCI-E, Creative Audigy LS, Samsung LS 16x DVD-RW, Enlight 16x DVD-RW, 2x ProLite 19" LCD TFT, Antec Plusview 1000 case, 550W PSU, Various Windows OSes inc: XP Pro, Vista and Media Centre Ed

This has no problems running any builds of Vista at all from beta 2 (thats when I started to test Vista) my spec b4 this one was 2 and a half years old and it ran Vista fine too. But remember you need serious graphics and RAM and CPU to run Vista to its full maximum especially if u r thinking of getting the Vista Ultimate.

colin1953 15:14 22 Oct 06

I ran the upgrade advisor utility and found out i can only use 'Windows Vista Home Basic'. Also it went on to list several pieces of software that i currently use, would not run under Vista also my printer would not work.
Is it worth bothering with.

Forum Editor 23:33 22 Oct 06

That's for you to decide. Bear in mind that RC1 is a beta version of the software, and many, if not all of your problems will be solved when the final release is available.

A good deal depends on hardware device manufacturers, as it's up to them to provide Vista drivers for their devices. They'll probably take the view that it simply isn't worth writing new drivers for some older devices, so they'll never run with Vista. That's always the case with a new operating system.

Likewise, software manufacturers may issue updates that will bring Vista compatibility, but that will very much depend on the size of the userbase - once again, these cmpanies may not consider it worthwhile to update software releases that have been superseded by later releases.

josie mayhem 00:04 24 Oct 06

Not likely, the only real hope that you might have if you have enough memory onboard..

My laptop I haven't even tried vista on, because even though I have 128mb ati molibity graphic card, it actualy takes some of its memory from the main memory on the laptop, and with only 512mb installed on the laptop (and I'm left with 3oo something of memeory) will cause problems with the over all running of vista...

If you have something like 1g of memory installed (of which I doubt) you might try to grap some of this? as vista will run (with whinging) on 512mb of memory to ultilize for the graphic card memory, but I very much doubt that you will have much sucess...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced