HP 1020 Laser Printer

keith mac 22:02 28 Aug 08

I've looked in the archives for help but to no avail.

I have an HP 1020 Laserjet printer which used to work just fine until early this summer. Then I began to notice 'dirty' patches on the paper which I thought was just that.

Later I noticed that some of the 'dirty' areas were actually faint text and now I find that on an A4 print there is a 'ghost' as well as the main print. The ghost appears about half way down the page and is readable albeit fainter than the main text. I have run the HP cleaning utility without improvement.

I tried downloading a driver from HP but that wiped everything from the printers folder and I had to revert to an earlier Restore Point. Perhaps I should have uninstalled the original driver first?

Suggestions please? I couldn't find anything relevant on the HP website.

ajm 00:55 30 Aug 08

It may seem that the drum has reached its duty life and needs replacing. As the HP1020 has a combined toner/drum, you will need to get a new toner.

May work out cheaper getting a new laser printer than replacing the toner/drum

keith mac 08:10 30 Aug 08

thanks ajm The printer has had only a small amount of occasional use so if that's my problem it's not done very well.

It is, however, the original toner/drum supplied with the new printer so I guess it was a limited-life one akin to the partially-filled cartridges often supplied with inkjet printers.

The printer cost me 36 quid so, as you say, it could be more cost effective to buy another cheap laser printer - or even a cheapish colour laser?

I've also got an old-but-good HP 6L Laserjet with a near-new toner but the printer has a parallel plug and if I bought a USB to parallel cable, would I find a suitable driver for Vista?

Any further thoughts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…