How to open my Control Pannel?

AliceG 11:09 04 Dec 14

Yesterday in order to make my laptop faster, I made a few changes in my pc's task manager. but I immediately realised I have made a big mistake. My laptop's window 8.1 disappeared immediately, I have to use the on/off button to switch on and off the pc now, every time I switched it on, all i can see is a blank blue screen, and on the blue screen, there is only one tiny rectangle, which enable me open my browser, that's it, nothing else, there is no window icons, I have no access to my desk top. I firstly want to go to system restore to restore my pc back to 2 days ago, so all the changes I made should be erased, but I don't know how to open the control panel. Can anybody help me please? Many Thanks!

daxian 11:27 04 Dec 14

hi ... this may help ....

click here

Secret-Squirrel 11:47 04 Dec 14

" I firstly want to go to system restore..........."

Hopefully this shortcut will get you into System Restore:

Hold down the Windows key (bottom-left of the keyboard with the Microsoft flag on it) then press the R key. Hopefully the Windows "Run" box will open - if it does type rstrui then press OK.

Secret-Squirrel 12:03 04 Dec 14

"Not sure if Secret Squirrel's rstrui will work without the exe on the end of it."

You could have tried it yourself before posting. If you had you would have seen that it works ;)

AliceG 13:34 04 Dec 14

Hi, thank you very much for all your guys who replied my question here. Hi, secret squirrel, I have tried your advice just now, but unfortunately the " Run"box didn't open on my screen. do you know any other methods to open the " Run" box? or lead me to the System Restore? Many Thanks!

spuds 14:31 04 Dec 14

Restore from PCA archives click here

spuds 14:35 04 Dec 14

Should have perhaps mentioned, there is a sound track on the above, so you might need headphones or loudspeaker turned on for Matt Egan's commentary.

Secret-Squirrel 15:40 04 Dec 14

"...but unfortunately the " Run"box didn't open on my screen."

Sorry to hear that Alice. Are you sure you held down the Windows key whilst pressing R? If that is the way you did it then it's never going to work so here's a Plan B:

Are you able to get to the Windows login screen OK (the one where it asks for your username and password)? If you can then click on daxian's link from earlier today and follow the instructions in step #2, but in your case, choose "System Restore" from the available Advanced Options.

alanrwood 16:19 04 Dec 14

Put "control" in the Start Menu Search box then select Control Panel from the options that appear. Hope that helps. You can then drag the shortcut to the desktop until you sort this out.

Secret-Squirrel 16:34 04 Dec 14

Alan & Spuds, Alice said this in her first post so the normal methods of getting to Control Panel and System Restore aren't going to work:

"all i can see is a blank blue screen, and on the blue screen, there is only one tiny rectangle, which enable me open my browser, that's it, nothing else, there is no window icons, I have no access to my desk top."

alanrwood 19:20 04 Dec 14

Sorry Alice

Went off half cocked there. I don't run Win 8 so maybe this won't work. Can you try a reinstall and choose a repair option if that exists in Win 8.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…