How many activations on Windows 7 Pro E retail?

Guybrush1 20:28 PM 20 Jul 09

Hi there

I wonder if you can advise how many activations. can have with my retail copy of Windows 7 Pro E I have pre-ordered.

I have always bought OEM but with the deals out there I couldn't risk actually owning a retail copy and having the luxury of being able to upgrade my mobo and still have a legit copy of Windows.

The question is, I have two PC's - mine which the main install will be going on and my girlfriends which is running Vista. Will I be able to install on both or do I need two purchase another copy as with OEM?

Thanks in advance

Guybrush1

Rob_08 21:56 PM 20 Jul 09

As its retail it should be endless amount of times.

Rob_08 21:58 PM 20 Jul 09

Sorry.

you can only activate endlessly on ONE machine . If you want it on the other you have to get rid of it on the other. So yes two copies.

malgall 22:35 PM 29 Jul 09

i have read that you will be able to buy a copy for use on more than one computer
but your normal version is for one pc only

Forum Editor 00:02 AM 30 Jul 09

will be for installation on one machine only.

a member 09:31 AM 30 Jul 09

you can purchase a licience from microsoft for up to 3 computers I believe.
I think its called a (family pack)

birdface 21:03 PM 18 Aug 09

Looks like the Family pack will be on sale.
click here

Guybrush1 12:41 PM 23 Aug 09

Thanks for all your advice

Housten 17:06 PM 24 Aug 09

I too heard about the Family pack, and have a desktop and a laptop. Not trusting 'The Great Satan - AKA microsoft - I bought 2 Home Premium copies last week from Amazon for £65 each, as against having to wait for and take a chance on the £150 Family pack. No brainer, isn't it???

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 release date, price, features UK: Free upgrade available July 29 with 10 years of free…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay