How effective is Vistas 'ReadyBoost' feature ?

Probabilitydrive 17:37 27 Apr 07

ReadyBoost is supposed to help loading applications faster in Vista.
How effective is it in terms of loading speed of applications?
Is it necessary in the first place when you have 2 GB RAM?
Are their special USB flash drives you have used/are using/could recommend?

Whats wrong with adding more RAM and by doing so avoid using ReadyBoost altogheter? Lets say using 3 or 4 GB should do the trick.

anskyber 17:46 27 Apr 07

There have been a few studies on Readyboost. the general conclusion is for less than 2 Gigs of RAM it shows some improvement. 2 Gigs and above the improvement is minimal.

It is cheaper than RAM of course but getting extra RAM will be a better route.

Two other points. Readyboost is not the same as extra RAM, it's more of a cache and is not as effective as RAM. Secondly, not all flash drives or at least the flash units like compact flash cards used in cameras and the like are readyboost optimised. readyboost needs fast read/write ALL of the time rather than for single or small groups of instances. If you buy units get those which are marked Readyboost ready/optimised or similar.

Probabilitydrive 17:57 27 Apr 07

I have 2 gigs of 800 MHz DDR2 installed. I presume that this Vista feature is more geared towards utilising lower RAM specs.

For now- once I have Vista on the system- I'll use the existing 2 gigs and monitor loading times. Its just that I thought the ReadyBoost feature is not a very elegant solution, but of course, it does make sense for a lower spec system.

anskyber 18:00 27 Apr 07

I have 2 Gigs and things are fine. If I wanted to improve things I would get extra RAM. I would be surprised if you saw any appreciable improvement from my reading with RB.

anskyber 18:03 27 Apr 07

Oh, as a PS. Without getting too complicated you will see an improvement in load speeds after a period of use. Vista has a "learning" function (in simple terms) which will understand how you use your machine so improving it's performance over time.

Probabilitydrive 18:16 27 Apr 07

Your PS very much appreciated. Everything 'Vista' seem to be either a phenomenal improvement over XP or worth condemning to Hades regions. Its easy losing perspective to ones everyday use of a PC and confuse a 'ReadyBoost' with 'ReadyBoot' (of the new OS)...;-)

anskyber 18:29 27 Apr 07

This click here deals with the "Superfetch" learning I mentioned in Vista.

powerless 18:44 27 Apr 07

I am waiting for the HHD.

...and my 4GB of RAM.

Pine Man 18:56 27 Apr 07

Be very careful about the amount of RAM you try to install.

To my cost I attempted to load 4GB into my Vista 32 bit PC.

Cannot be done!

32 bit Vista will not recognise 4GB of RAM. Microsoft have published a workaround, which did not work for me but if it had done it would have reduced the effectiveness of the RAM.

In addition if you are using dual-channel RAM you have to have it loaded in pairs.

If you want a lot of RAM the highest you should aim for is 3GB and then it should ideally be in matched pairs to keep dual-channel enabled.

Probabilitydrive 18:59 27 Apr 07

anskyber, very useful link as my query about ReadyBoost is very much tied to the SuperFetch cache feature in Vista. In essence Vista memorises which applications you use and puts it in a cache. Next time you use this particular program Vista will start it much more quickly (and this may involve then using ReadyBoost Flash drive).

Powerless, I recall reading somewhere that Windows cant utilise 4 GB of Ram in a x32 edition?

Probabilitydrive 19:01 27 Apr 07

Ah Pine Man, a speed demon I am not, but you seem to have just 'superfeched' an answer to my question...'-)thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017