How do you go back to a single boot from dual boot

sure.t 12:35 PM 08 Jul 09

i was woundering if it is easy to return back to a single operating system from having a dual boot?

BurrWalnut 13:54 PM 08 Jul 09

You haven’t said what systems are multibooting, nor which one was installed first. Here are a few solutions using my crystal ball:

1. If you want to return to XP after removing Vista or Win 7 and XP was installed on its own initially, you have to reinstate boot.ini, as follows:
- Boot from the XP CD and select the first repair option (R) which will take you to the Recovery Console.
- Type fixmbr and press Enter.
- Type fixboot and press Enter.
- Restart the computer.

If asked, type Y to the continue message.

2. If you want to return to Vista after removing another version of Vista or Windows 7 and the one you want to keep is the one that was first installed:
- It is much easier than returning to XP. Download EasyBCD, scroll down click here and get the instructions click here Just go to the Add/Remove Tab.

3. If you want to keep an operating system that was installed as a second system, it’s more complicated and you will have to post here which systems you have and what partitions you have.

sure.t 14:13 PM 08 Jul 09

say if i have origanlly had vista ultimate what if i booted windows 7 and wanted to keep windows 7 and get rid of vista?

BurrWalnut 15:01 PM 08 Jul 09

Please confirm that Vista is on drive C and Windows 7 is on drive D (or a subsequent letter) and if they are on the same HDD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week