How Do I Remove Media Player Classic (MPC-HC 1.7.8) Completely?

martin1223 12:51 05 Mar 15

How do I remove Media Player Classic (MPC-HC 1.7.8) leftover files after I uninstalled it? I Googled it and couldn't find anything and it won't show up on REVO uninstaller. I don't trust it and it's not very good compared to Windows Media Player. From what I understand it originates from Russia.

After I uninstalled it from the Control Panel's add/remove window, I discovered the MPC-HC icon included in the dialog box asking what player I should use when I placed a DVD in the drive. How do I remove all the leftover files? I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium edition on Dell's Inspiron 580. Any help is appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 05 Mar 15

You probably need to clear remnants from windows registry.

The only program I let near my registry is CCleaner

wee eddie 17:21 05 Mar 15

I don't think that you can. It's built into Windows 7 and earlier.

alanrwood 20:00 05 Mar 15

Hi Wee eddie

It is not built into Windows at all. Media Player Classic is installed as part of the K-Lite codec pack software and is far superior to Windows Media Player which is built into Windows. Windows Media Player is very poor on what file types it supports which is why Media Player Classic is so superior. If I were the OP I would re-install K-Lite Codec p[ack again and give Windows Media Player a big miss.

martin1223 21:04 05 Mar 15

alanrwood,

I appreciate your response but I already uninstalled MPC-HC 1.7.8 and still have remnant files and icons that show in menus. How can I get rid of them is my question?

lotvic 21:06 05 Mar 15

here's the wikipedia history and versions of Media Player Classic click here

alanrwood 09:57 06 Mar 15

Try reinstalling it and using IOBit Uninstaller (Free). It usually gets all the extra bits on the deep scan.

wee eddie 11:42 06 Mar 15

I'd go with "alanrwood". Start again: Install it again and use IOBit or Revo

martin1223 23:18 06 Mar 15

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

I tried CCleaner and it did not help. It deletes broken registry keys possibly more effectively than My Norton Security Suite but these are remnant files and icons.

Lotvic,

Thanks for the Wikipedia history of it.

Jock1e,

I tried uninstalling it with the thorough Revo uninstaller as I mentioned but I could not find MPC-HC 1.7.8 in its directory. I became suspicious of the software because it showed up in Control Panel’s Program and Feature list and not in Revo.

alanrwood,

I tried IOBit but the icon still shows up when I insert a DVD in the drive and a dialog box opens with an assortment of players and the default icon for the missing 123 icon and its name, media player classic, below it. Other than annoying me, I suspect there are other files in hiding. Someone from another forum suggested going into regedit.exe, the registry editor, and deleting it. He gave directions where to find it:

“HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Gabest\Media Player Classic, delete the key.”

It was not there so in the registry editor’s menu bar in edit, I clicked find and put in Media Player Classic and found all the entries. I do not like to fool with registry keys hearing from others how they crashed their systems so I created a restore point and exported the whole registry to another hard drive as I learned from a you tube tutorial. Then I deleted the individual keys that came up in the find search. I rebooted and it worked. The icon is gone and so are the other remnant keys. I rebooted several times and so far, my system did not crash. Anyway, I have a restore point and a copy of the damn registry, so thanks anyway but I do appreciate your responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes