How do i reinstall files

Swickle 12:25 20 Dec 08

Hi,

I have had to re install windows vista, and it has backed up all my old programs etc under "windows.old" how do i get these programs to work now, I have a lot of progs i dont want to use, but i cannot run tem from the backup folder,

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Pine Man 14:01 20 Dec 08

I am not quite sure what you have done but programs can only be re-installed from the discs that they came on.

tullie 15:12 20 Dec 08

If you dont want these programmes,delete the file,dont think you can use again anyway.

mooly 18:25 20 Dec 08

I am not sure on this. Did you reinstall over the top of your existing Vista installation.
When I installed Vista, I did it as an upgrade install over the top of a clean copy of XP together with all my other programs. This retained all of these, and I seem to remember ( I think) manually deleting "Windows Old" as it was no longer needed to get the disc space back.
The point I am getting at is, can you do an over the top install of Vista ? If you just did a clean install any 3rd party stuff would be lost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…