How do I get Vista SP1?

skeletal 11:44 21 Oct 08

My Vista problems are now the stuff of legend, but very recently I accidently booted into Vista and to my surprise it actually started. I had a couple of minutes so thought I’d look to the update section to try to get SP1.

As ever, the offer of SP1 was not there.

In other threads there is often the mention that “If SP1 is not available, it is because there is a hardware or software problem, etc etc”.

This is very interesting, of course, as this “problem” may be the very thing that stops Vista working on my machine.

But, what on earth is this “problem”? If the update service is so clever why cannot it just say “xyz is incompatible with Vista”? At least this would give me a fighting chance of finally working out what is wrong.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get to know what this problem is?

I have, of course, run all the “Is your computer able to work with Vista” software and this tells me everything is fine.

Skeletal

chub_tor 15:49 21 Oct 08

You can get it from here click here but you should read this click here first

skeletal 16:30 21 Oct 08

Thanks chub_tor. I have had a quick look at the “warning” link and there are clearly a lot of things I need to check. Silly me I thought I could just do “Windows update please”!

I had heard that some drivers could cause problems, but in the early days I turned everything I could off, and tried to get the latest drivers.

When I get time, I may have another go at updating everything...again.

Skeletal

i forced sp1 and it caused a few performance problems ending in a re-install. i found it's best to find out why it won't offer it, here's what i did:
uninstalled sound card driver, removed sound card.
unistalled every driver from manufacturer or tweek company, rebooted safe mode ran ccleaner, rebooted to windows let it install it's drivers .ran click here rebooted again, ran wud sp1 offered, installed no problems. powered off put sound card back windows installed all drivers. then reinstalled all the drivers i had previously have never had a problem or crash since.

worth pointing out the problem driver, even signed (creative) don't cause any problems with sp1 once it's installed, they just cause problems with the install of sp1 (if that makes sense)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…