How do i expand memory in window 8.1 where it allows only 20GB for partitioning?

karanmulage 13:51 16 May 15

Help me sort out this problem. I got a HP laptop with Windows 8.1 OS, to do the partition it allows me only 20GB for shrinking volume. Please tell me how to solve this problem......!

robin_x 15:01 16 May 15

Do you see something like this?

Mine (W10) is saying I could have the full 50% free-space if I wanted to.

Maybe you have some unmovable files blocking the upper sectors and need a defrag first

In any event, Disk Management has a mind of its own sometimes and is not very good even when it does work

Have a go with MiniTool Partition Wizard Free

If you explain a bit more what you are trying to do, we can offer extra advice

=-=-=

Note that messing with partitions carries some risk. Make sure you are fully backed up.

northumbria61 10:55 24 May 15

Good advice from robin_x especially regarding doing a full backup first - and I would agree - use Mini Tool Partition Wizard Free

alanrwood 11:04 24 May 15

Sometime you are not able to shrink a volume if the volume being shrunk has a file with a fixed location towards the end of the partition. Sometimes it is possible to shrink this only using boot up defrag then trying to partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…