How do I check my version of Win8?

jamie.long951 17:18 PM 11 Nov 12

How can I see if I'm running the basic or pro version? thanks, jamie

mgmcc 17:48 PM 11 Nov 12

Press Windows Key + R to open the Run box. Type in winver and press Enter.

jamie.long951 17:50 PM 11 Nov 12

thanks but all it says is Windows 8 version 6.2? so it isn't win8 Pro?

mgmcc 17:53 PM 11 Nov 12

If you are using a PC in which Windows 8 was pre-installed, it is probably the basic version. The upgrade from Windows 7 installs the Pro version.

jamie.long951 18:13 PM 11 Nov 12

Ok, thanks. It is not upgradable to Pro then? I did have a look a the upgrade offer on Microsoft site for £24.99 but apparently its not available for download in the UK - very strange.

mgmcc 19:19 PM 11 Nov 12

The upgrade is available for download in the UK because I downloaded it and many other have done so too. It is available from here for £24.99.

jamie.long951 19:46 PM 11 Nov 12

Yes, I tried it but without any luck. I pressed buy for £24.99, downloaded and run the upgrage compatability tool - went through all of that and got to the end and it said it wasen't available for download in my region. I've checked my PC settings in control panel and region/location is set to UK.

mgmcc 20:08 PM 11 Nov 12

I don't understand this. I've just gone through the procedure again and, although it doesn't find/display the list of incompatible items, I can click "Next" which brings up the screen to order the download for £24.99. There is nothing about not being available for download in the UK. In any case, it is priced in sterling which would only apply in the UK.

jamie.long951 20:36 PM 11 Nov 12

Yeah I know that's why its bugging me. I've just done it again, and same result, it does the compatibility test and lists all my compatible apps etc, I click next to buy and then it prompts me about not being available in my region. All I can do then is close the tool...

mgmcc 20:54 PM 11 Nov 12

Who is your ISP? If you have an international one, such as AOL, you may not have a UK IP address, which is how your geographical location is established.

jamie.long951 21:14 PM 11 Nov 12

Orange Broadband..

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 3D food printer prints chocolate, cookie dough or pizza

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone