How do i avoid Windows 7 recovery partition.

Rob_08 17:23 PM 20 Nov 09

Hi,
as my title suggests i really do not want W7 to create a recovery partition on my Hard drive.
What methods can i use to avoid the creation of it. ?
Thank you.

Sorry if this has been asked before !

chub_tor 17:33 PM 20 Nov 09

Why do you think that Windows7 will create a recovery partition? As far as I am aware no partitions were changed on the four installations that I have done so far.

ambra4 18:04 PM 20 Nov 09

“How do I avoid Windows 7 recovery partition”

When you install Windows 7 “It Do Not Create a Recovery Partition” on your hard drive

If you buy a Computer from an OEM supplier there will be a Recovery Partition on the hard drive

Rob_08 18:35 PM 20 Nov 09

Seems i'm a little ahead of you guys here.

read this:

click here

See now ?

chub_tor 18:50 PM 20 Nov 09

Well that's interesting, I have looked at my drive with Acronis Disk Director and can see no sign of a Recovery Partition, nor can I see a Recovery File even among the hidden files. Still what's 200Mb on a 1Tb drive.

rdave13 18:59 PM 20 Nov 09

The answer is in your link.

Pine Man 20:29 PM 20 Nov 09

..When I installed W7 cleanly on a drive that had previously been used for Vista I found the recovery partition and assumed it had been left over from Vista.

Sooooooo I loaded a partition manager and deleted the contents of the partition then removed the actual partition itself!!!

Not to worry everything seems to work ok - so far;-)

Rob_08 21:54 PM 20 Nov 09

Hi and thanks guys/girls,

yeah i know the answer is in my link but it seems a bit fiddly, do i format with XP disk and then install W7 or what. ?
If i do it with W7 ( format) will i get the partition warning so i can cancel it ?
Im not 100% sure on this one at all. !

T0SH 13:43 PM 21 Nov 09

Apparently the 200MB hidden partition Win 7 setup creates is used to store a copy of the drive boot sector and a few other files, I think it would also be brought into play if dynamic discs were initialised along similar lines to the 8MB reserved space that XP created for this purpose

Cheers HC

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…