? How to - Change what file level Win Explorer opens at, pls

AroundAgain 04 Nov 11
Answered

Hi

Using Win Vista Home Premium

When I open Windows Explorer, the Drive tree, displayed in the left-hand pane, (sorry, don't know what else to call it) is always at Start Menu, showing the Program folders below, ie next level, so I need to go up 6 levels to find my account folder in C:\ drive, or to unexpand the tree. This is just so tedious to do every time.

Is it possible to change how the tree is displayed when I go to Explorer, please?

I would like it to display C:\ or my account in that drive as the default whenever I open Win Explorer as they are the places I usually need to be at.

Easy steps, pleasee ;)

Thanks for any help.

BRYNIT 04 Nov 11

Why not just create a shortcut direct to the folder from your desktop.

AroundAgain 04 Nov 11

Hi Brynit

Yes, I do have shortcuts but I still go via Win Explorer depending on what I need to do. Thanks, though. Shortcuts are very useful and it could have been that was a good solution.

... so, my question still stands ...

Hopefully, someone knows if and how one can change this default???

Cheers

AroundAgain 04 Nov 11

Brynit, Having said that, maybe a shortcut to C:\ itself would suffice, if I can't find out how to change the default display. I hadn't thought of that, so yes, your suggestion has helped trigger some further thought :)

AroundAgain 06 Nov 11
Answer

Thanks very much for this link, Beta. I found it very helpful that the article explained why it opens in Start Menu if right clicking on Start.

So, in essence, Brynit, your suggestion of making a shortcut amounts to the same.

I have now edited a WinExplorer shortcut and put in the TaskBar, opening at the level I prefer.

Thanks to both of you, very much, for your help.

I will 'Tick' Beta's link as the solution, only because it gives more information/explanation.

Cheers

AroundAgain 08 Nov 11

Hi folks

Ive just discovered that WinKey+E does exactly what I would like, ie opens the whole collapsed tree. So, now I have two options - the shortcut, as suggested by both Brynit and Beta, and the WinKey+E, both giving slightly different displays but both good.

Brilliant!!! Cheers

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message