? How to - Change what file level Win Explorer opens at, pls

AroundAgain 19:23 PM 04 Nov 11

Using Win Vista Home Premium

When I open Windows Explorer, the Drive tree, displayed in the left-hand pane, (sorry, don't know what else to call it) is always at Start Menu, showing the Program folders below, ie next level, so I need to go up 6 levels to find my account folder in C:\ drive, or to unexpand the tree. This is just so tedious to do every time.

Is it possible to change how the tree is displayed when I go to Explorer, please?

I would like it to display C:\ or my account in that drive as the default whenever I open Win Explorer as they are the places I usually need to be at.

Easy steps, pleasee ;)

Thanks for any help.

BRYNIT 21:57 PM 04 Nov 11

Why not just create a shortcut direct to the folder from your desktop.

AroundAgain 22:16 PM 04 Nov 11

Hi Brynit

Yes, I do have shortcuts but I still go via Win Explorer depending on what I need to do. Thanks, though. Shortcuts are very useful and it could have been that was a good solution.

... so, my question still stands ...

Hopefully, someone knows if and how one can change this default???

AroundAgain 22:19 PM 04 Nov 11

Brynit, Having said that, maybe a shortcut to C:\ itself would suffice, if I can't find out how to change the default display. I hadn't thought of that, so yes, your suggestion has helped trigger some further thought :)

AroundAgain 11:07 AM 06 Nov 11

Thanks very much for this link, Beta. I found it very helpful that the article explained why it opens in Start Menu if right clicking on Start.

So, in essence, Brynit, your suggestion of making a shortcut amounts to the same.

I have now edited a WinExplorer shortcut and put in the TaskBar, opening at the level I prefer.

Thanks to both of you, very much, for your help.

I will 'Tick' Beta's link as the solution, only because it gives more information/explanation.

AroundAgain 22:59 PM 08 Nov 11

Hi folks

Ive just discovered that WinKey+E does exactly what I would like, ie opens the whole collapsed tree. So, now I have two options - the shortcut, as suggested by both Brynit and Beta, and the WinKey+E, both giving slightly different displays but both good.

Brilliant!!! Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11