How can I find a password-protected Excel file?

marshalls3 05:30 12 Jul 13

Due to a malware infection, my computer was recently restored to an earlier date. On using it again, I have been unable to find a password-protected Excel 2007 file that I had been using regularly.

The search facility does not seem to display password-protected .xlsx extension files. I think this is the case, because I have another known password protected file in a desktop folder that does not come up in the display. Can anyone confirm that the search facility misses these files?

My problem is that I am not sure of the directory path of this file, and, while I thought I knew its name, I am not even sure of that any more!

I suppose my question is - how can I get the search facility to display all Excel files, regardless of whether they are password-protected or not?

wiz-king 08:32 12 Jul 13

go into search and put in Excel, then 'see more' for the advanced search (top right) and put in the date range and see what it finds

AroundAgain 17:46 12 Jul 13

Can I assume you've opened Excel, clicked on File, scrolled down so you can see the last files opened?

Having saiid that, maybe it won't show after a system restore?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009