Hosts file in Vista ,How to overcome some issues

skidzy 14:47 11 Jul 08

Im a fan of the mvps hostfile,especially when on xp.Now trying to install this on Vista caused me many issues...mainly killing my router and network.

Ive come across a fix that works a dream and not a mine field to understand.

If you try to follow the instructions at MVPS for a Vista install,it can be a little mind boggling.

This process posted at Malware Removal makes installing the MVPS host file a doddle.

Hope this helps someone.

How to install the Hosts File in Vista

Stop and Disable the DNS Client Service

* Go to Start and type services.msc in the Search box and press Enter
* Under the Extended Tab, Scroll down and find this service:
DNS Client
* Right-Click on the DNS Client Service. Choose Properties
* Click the Arrow-down tab on the right-hand side at the Start-up Type box.
* From the drop-down menu, select Disabled
* Then click on the Stop button, wait for the service to stop and press OK
* Close the Services console

Install the MVPs hosts file

* Download HostsXpert click here (right-click the link, select Save Target As..., select your Desktop and press Save)
* Right-click HostsXpert.zip, select Extract All... then press the Extract button to extract the program into a new folder
* Open the new folder and double-click HostsXpert.exe to start the program
Click the Download button, then the MVPs Hosts... button, then select Replace and OK to install it.
* The status bar at the bottom of the program will show progress and when complete it will show "idle"
* Close HostsXpert

brundle 15:45 11 Jul 08

Is the problem caused by DNS Client service preventing writing to the hosts file or just not working well with the larger MVPS one, or Vista's increased security preventing access to the relevant folders? I believe MVPS (and others) recommend that the DNS Client service in XP is disabled if the hosts file is large - does Vista make this a requirement rather than optional now?

mfletch 15:53 11 Jul 08

So you finally got it sorted thanks for the info,

mfletch

skidzy 15:59 11 Jul 08

Hi Brundle
To be honest with you,i cannot answer the questions as i never found out the real cause of my issues.

Under xp,the hostfile worked really well except for the occasional lag.

I did have a thread running a while back regarding the hostfile and Vista,so many headaches it was unbelievable.

However after running through a few threads over at MWR i found the above click here
I believe the DNS client is responsible...but not 100%

It is working and my wireless network (7 computers )all running fine so far.

Ive not had a real look around the host file at the moment but will do over the weekend.

Thing is...it works so far.

skidzy 16:00 11 Jul 08

Glad you remembered it lol.

Those who persevere and all that :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…